Amount of motion felt, Grand aft?

crazy4themouse

Hi all ~

We are booked far aft on the Grand, in C739 and C743. I love being aft, and have always been there on the Disney Magic. There have only been maybe two nights out of 3 week-long cruises where I felt any real movement.

My worry is my mother, who is much more prone to motion sickness. I have read in a couple places now that aft on the Grand can be a very motion-felt place, and I'm afraid my mom will hate it. Me, I'm one who is happiest in 15-ft seas, but I'm weird. icon_smile.gif

Should I look into trying to change staterooms? I was so thrilled with our location... but I've also read that aft on Grand means being light years away from most things you want to do. Is that true?

Someone please help this clueless Grand newbie... LOL Thank you in advance!

-gina-

Grand Princess, here we come!! 3/12/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;3;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Disney Magic: 2/02, 2/03, 2/04

Gina, I was a diehard DCL fan before I tried the Grand.

I never felt *any* movement on the Grand (we had a forward cabin so if anything, I think the movement would have been worse than in the aft) That big girl doesn't move much. I would think if you were ok on the Magic, you'll be jsut as well, if not better, on the Grand icon_smile.gif

It's not as bad as you might think. Actually, I think the motion forward is worse. Then again, we sleep better when we can feel a little movement. It just helps reinforce the fact that we're on a ship.

Just completed:

Caribbean Princess Apr 3/04

Golden Princess Apr 10/04

Coming up:

Tahitian Princess Oct 14/04

Actually, that was my disappointment with the Grand....I wanted more motion!

And mind you, we were cruising in September and the sea was rough enough for us to miss tendering in Grand Cayman and yet I was like, hey, am I still on a ship?

The motion aft wasn't too bad (until the seas hit 7-12 ft near a tropical storm), but the shudder bothered me more. Once at sea, the cabin would shudder (or shimmy) a little bit every 5-10 seconds. When the ship was moving faster, it was more noticeable. (We were on the Eastern Carrib 7/03, and a TS was moving to the south . Might be heavier seas than normal).

My wife really liked the view from the Aft cabins and says the motion didn't bother her. I took 1/2 of a Dramamine and didn't get sick. Just had a little trouble sleeping (noise bothers me more than her).

We don't get sea sick easily. We had a forward cabin on the Grand a few years ago and it was smooth as glass (no medicine needed).

I think the problem was the aft BB's are in the corner. One side of the cabin is really the main support for Skywalkers lounge. That is a log of metal, on the end of two big poles. Being an engineer, I think it is a miracle that those cabins have that small amount of shudder.

That's *exactly* how I am... our first Eastern itinerary cruise on DCL, it was great -- especially crossing the Gulfstream. It was like being rocked to sleep in a giant cradle every night... I was in heaven. The past two cruises, Western and then Eastern again, I barely felt anything and it was sooooo disappointing. icon_frown.gif

But it took a lot to convince my mom and step-dad to join my little boy and I this time, and I didn't want too much motion to ruin it for her. Thanks for putting my mind at ease -- you guys are great!! icon_smile.gif

-gina-

Grand Princess, here we come!! 3/12/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;3;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Disney Magic: 2/02, 2/03, 2/04

aft is wonderful. A gentle rock to sleep. I always bring Bonine. One pill every 24 hrs.I took mine at bedtime. Slept like a baby, and never got sick. No side effects either. Have a wonderful cruise. Welcome to Princess. icon_smile.gif

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

Archived