Belize, MAYA Ruins XUNANTUNICH (Review and Pictures)

JimVrhovac

Ruth and I were there last year but just getting pictures organized.

This is one of the few Maya ruin sites that is readily accessable to mobility challenged people. There is a van that takes you to the reception center and then there is only a small flight of steps to get up to the main site with all them temples and ancillary buildings. There is an inclining roadway near the steps that can be managed in a wheelchair. Do not think an electric wheelchair would make it up the incline.

Prior to the tour we talked with the Tour desk on the ship and they talked with the tour company about Ruth's mobility problems. The tour company sent along an extra guide that spent the whole time with us. There was no additional charge but we tipped the young man appropriately as he was able to explain a lot about the site to us on a one on one basis.

We booked the tour through the ship and went with the group.

There is a 45 minute buss ride through the countryside to get to the site. We parked on one side of the river and they had a ferry to take us across the river to the site site (no extra charge). There was a souvenier stand setup where the busses were parked.

Note that there are no snack or beverage shops at the site so you need to take along extra water with you.

After we crossed the river a van picked us up and drove us to the reception center (app 10 minutes). At the reception center there is an overview model of the site and a talk is given on the general features of the site and what all the buildings were used for. There were several story boards on the wall explaining various temples on the site. We left the reception center and proceeded to the main site then.

Most of the temples could be viewed from the ground but you were not allowed to climb up the temples. We were able to climb to the top of the main temple and the view was spectacular.

The grounds were nicely manicured and easy to traverse. The guide with us pushed the wheelchair when ruth was able to walk and then pushed her in the wheelchair when she got tired. Very polite, caring, and well mannered young man.

The main tour guide worked his way around the brounds explaining each of the buildings and their use and who they think lived in the buildings. The main priests house was also used as his burial site (see pictures).

I climbed to the top of the main temple and it was not easy as I am not 20 years old. On one part of the main temple they have made fiberglass reproductions of the carvings that are on that spot and installed them over the original carvings to give you an idea of what the temple looked like in its prime.

The pictures that are linked tell a much better story of the ruins and would suggest you look at them.

A van took us back to the river where we boarded the ferry for the ride across to the busses. At the stands I purchased some beautifull knives with leather sheaths. Very intrical leather work at a very reasonable price.

On the way back to the ship we stopped for lunch. Black Beans and rice.

All in all it was an interesting trip and would highly recoment it. It is a nice site and gives you the feel of the Maya architecture and a nice ride through the countryside.

We took over 100 pictures at the site but I tried to pick the best ones for my Webshots site.

LINK TO PICTURES ON WEBSHOTS:

http://community.webshots.com/user/jimvrhovac

If you have a further questions please feel free to contact me.

Archived