Is RCI spraying ships for mosquitos?

My DD will be 20 weeks when we cruise. We were planning on going to Key West, Cocoa Cay and Grand Cayman. Her OB advised her to not go to any of those places. She said the only safe places were Bermuda or New England/Canada, so we changed our plans and are going to Bermuda. This is her 3rd pregnancy and at 35 she is already considered high risk!

Every person is different and has to do what is best for her.

I'm wishing all the pregnant ladies safe and healthy pregnancies!! Congratulations to y'all!!

Okiecruiseaddict...

My internet is all kinds of messed up this weekend so I hope you get my message! Congrats on the baby!

My cruise was awesome and I barely thought about zika the entire time. Never saw a mosquito, either. I stayed on ship in Belize, but my family went tubing and into the jungle and never saw a mosquito. The guide claimed that mosquito's are rare because of all the bats. That said, Belize was added to the CDC list the week we were set to sail. Noone in our party got a single bite.

In Cozumel, we did a dolphin encounter, not at Chakanaab. We also shopped, ate at an outdoor restaurant, and snorkeled. I wore linen pants and ended up ditching them for a swim cover-up because, again, no mosquitos.

This was in April, I am not sure how things are now. I haven't been keeping track of any zika-related news since our trip, either. But, at the time, the (known) birth defects were limited to only 2 countries.

I was able to relax the whole trip and forgot about the zika thing. I sprayed myself in Mexico, but didn't think much more about mosquitos after that. I never saw reason to re-apply after being in the water. That said, this is my fourth, with three little kiddos running around, there's no time to worry about zika! If it were my first pregnancy, I may have worried more because of the newness of pregnancy, and the anxiety that comes along with it. I have found that I worry less and less about everything with each pregnancy.

Now, I don't know how your wife is in the first trimester, but my primary concern at 10 weeks would be morning sickness. Maybe she'll be one of the lucky ones who doesn't get it, but 10 weeks is nothing short of hell for me. If I were still in the first trimester, I absolutely would have cancelled the cruise. If she does get morning sickness, I recommend diclegis. It helped quite a bit. My morning sickness ended only a few days before we set sail, but I continued to take the diclegis during the trip, to be safe. Again, maybe she'll be one of the lucky ones! And, again, Congrats!

Okiecruiseaddict...

My internet is all kinds of messed up this weekend so I hope you get my message! Congrats on the baby!

My cruise was awesome and I barely thought about zika the entire time. Never saw a mosquito, either. I stayed on ship in Belize, but my family went tubing and into the jungle and never saw a mosquito. The guide claimed that mosquito's are rare because of all the bats. That said, Belize was added to the CDC list the week we were set to sail. Noone in our party got a single bite.

In Cozumel, we did a dolphin encounter, not at Chakanaab. We also shopped, ate at an outdoor restaurant, and snorkeled. I wore linen pants and ended up ditching them for a swim cover-up because, again, no mosquitos.

This was in April, I am not sure how things are now. I haven't been keeping track of any zika-related news since our trip, either. But, at the time, the (known) birth defects were limited to only 2 countries.

I was able to relax the whole trip and forgot about the zika thing. I sprayed myself in Mexico, but didn't think much more about mosquitos after that. I never saw reason to re-apply after being in the water. That said, this is my fourth, with three little kiddos running around, there's no time to worry about zika! If it were my first pregnancy, I may have worried more because of the newness of pregnancy, and the anxiety that comes along with it. I have found that I worry less and less about everything with each pregnancy.

Now, I don't know how your wife is in the first trimester, but my primary concern at 10 weeks would be morning sickness. Maybe she'll be one of the lucky ones who doesn't get it, but 10 weeks is nothing short of hell for me. If I were still in the first trimester, I absolutely would have cancelled the cruise. If she does get morning sickness, I recommend diclegis. It helped quite a bit. My morning sickness ended only a few days before we set sail, but I continued to take the diclegis during the trip, to be safe. Again, maybe she'll be one of the lucky ones! And, again, Congrats!

Robotcake (and everyone else), thank you so much for the response(s)! I don't normally take so long to respond but we have been crazy busy with work and some unexpected home repairs, so I haven't had any time to get online. We are on our way to the ship now. Staying in Dallas tonight and Galveston tomorrow night!

My wife hasn't been sick (so far), but she was miserable with our first kid from week 10 to about week 20. Her doctor has given her several different meds, so we're hoping one of them will help if she does happen to get any morning sickness during our trip.

This!

No it is a closely guarded secret, that all RCCL ships based in the USA are regularly sailed through a giant open air car wash type device just outside Fort Lauderdale, where the whole vessel is thoroughly, washed and sprayed with Deet as a precaution against mosquitos.

The ships are then detailed and returned to their port of departure to carry on their cruise schedules. The crews attend a separate base to be sprayed whilst the ship is undergoing this procedure. With special attention given to their hair, feet and behind their ears.

I searched the forums and found that most people rarely see mosquitos on the ship, but I wonder if they're taking additional precautions.

Additionally, we will be swimming with dolphins in Cozumel off of Independence in April. I hear that the zika mosquitos are crazy daytime biters. Anyone see them there?

Not personally, but you could enquire at the Land Excursions desk to see if there is an RCCL tour possibly with lunch at a really inflated price available to spot them in their natural habitat.