Back from NCL Jewel with 2 year old. Do you have questions?

Rada_CMH

Hi Kermitte,

I'll try to answer most of your questions, but if I miss something ask again.

The drop-off arrangements: Once you enter the Kid's club, there is a small square space (approx. 7 x 7 feet) where you sign up your child/get your beeper. This space is separated from the main activity room by a tiny gate (approx. 2.5 ft. tall). At any point you want (including after you drop off your kid) you can get in that sign up area and look into the main room and see how your kid is doing. It is not closed off and you can stay there as long as you want.

The youth councilors were really good at engaging and distracting the kids as soon as parents brought them is, so by the time I signed up and got my beeper my daughter was already playing with something.

That small gate was wide open during the orientation, but they tried to keep it closed to parents the rest of the time. That said, I still went in a couple of times - for example when I wanted to pick my daughter and they were in the next room watching videos, so I couldn't see her directly from the gate...

I didn't see much line-up to drop off kids, but again there were so few kids on our 11-day sailing that it was not an issue. The sign-up room is rather small, so if more than 4 people show up at the same time I can imagine it getting crowded.

Open house: The 1:00 to 3:00 time slot was the only one open for us, but it may be different for your sailing - check as soon as you get in your cabin - it is listed in the daily flier.

Parents can't hang out with their kids and use the equipment on port days - the facility is open only if there are parents who sign up their kids to use it for a fee. And again - the facility is for the kids only. You can leave your child there as long as you are on the ship so that they can call you when your child needs a diaper change. Parents with potty trained kids can leave them in the kids club for the whole day (the care givers take the kids to the garden cafe for lunch). The fee on port days was $5/hour.

Bed arrangement: We had a mini suite, so our daughter was sleeping on the sofa and there was a curtain separating our bed from her space. Initially we were putting the dividing curtain trying to simulate a separate room, but she didn't like having it and it was much easier to leave the curtain off so that she can see us. We don't have an elaborate "going to bed" routine at home so we just all went to bed at the same time (so she was sure she was not missing any fun...) and then after she fell asleep we would get up if we wanted to do anything else. We ended up sleeping a lot more than on previous cruises, but that was what we needed the most. :)

Have fun,

Rada

• 2 years later...

hi Rada,

it seems i stumbled upon an old forum here. Can i ask you a question if you still check this forum. did you notice if anyone tried to put their kids for sleeping time in the KIDS CLUB? Is there a separated area or if they were to sleep would it be on the floor in the open area? just a question?

In your minisuite, if you can remember, would their have been enough room in the washroom (with door open) to put a pack'n play? we will have 2 kids and 2 pack'n plays. Not sure how we can set up our minisuite.

Thanks in advance

Archived