Fly into Ft. Laud. for Miami cruise???

Ok, so I am going on the FOS in June, and I am starting to look into flights-here's my problem-I can get my entire party of 5 free flights on Delta or Song, but both have a problem-

1. Delta-to get from LAX to Miami on Delta, you have to change planes twice-kinda a pain with 2 kids in tow-also, I don't like flying, so the fewer take-offs and landings, the better-

or

2. Song-non-stops, but to Ft. Lauderdale, not Miami-isn't it like an hour drive between the two?? How much would a shuttle for 5 be for that drive, round trip?? Please, if any of you have done it this way, I am particularly interested in the shuttles, drive, and hotel situation in Ft. Laud., I always have flown directly to MIA.

Option 3-choose another airline-AA has great flights non-stop, at $375 per person x5. DOwnside-it's not free!!!

I am open for all opinions, because I just can't decide!!

Help-thanks!

We did this about two years ago. It was $25 per person each way to anywhere in Miami using Airport van. I beleive you can get entire van for slightly over $100. Don't need reservations. Just walk outside after you get your baggage and there is someone there who arranges for vans. You can probably arrange with van driver to pick you up after cruise.

I just booked NWA to Ft. Lauderdale Dec 4th for Explorer out of Miami...TA said should be fine & it's only 25 miles away. Taking RCC shuttle for $20 each way. Flights to Miami from Detroit are too expensive, only NWA & AA fly direct! I'll post after cruise how it went...

We always fly to Fort Lauderdale when we cruise from Miami because it has saved us far more than the transportation costs. We always rent a car but people have reported on here that you can get a limo from the airport for around $75 or $80.

I just booked a HONEYMOON for my son and future DIL...they are going on Majesty of the Seas....

I am flying them into FLL...and then wondering if I should have them rent a car to get to Miami .....or how do I find out about transfers>?

As they are coming from Chicago in January..I am having them fly in a day early-

Suggestions?

I am flying in to FLL next month for a cruise out of Miami. We booked transfers from our TA, through Royal Caribbean. it is 40.00 per person, round trip.

Wow! I think I paid 50 each person last time (January 05). I am going through FLL to Port of Miami for Radiance in January again and if I get the 40 buck deal, I'm taking it.

Ok, so it looks like I will fly into Ft. Laud, but that brings up additional questions:

1. I fly in the night before my cruise, get into Ft. Laud about 7:00pm-do I drive to Miami that night and stay in in hotel in Miami, or do I get a hotel in FL and stay there, then drive to port the next morning?

2. If I stay in FL that night, what good hotels are in FL?

SO may questions....

ElvisandTracey,

There are tons of great hotels in FLL. One that I would definitely recommend is the LaQuinta Inn & Suites/FLL Airport, which is actually in Hollywood. They have a free airport shuttle and free hot breakfast. So, you could fly in the night before to FLL, take their free shuttle to the LaQuinta, stay the night, get up the next morning and have a good breakfast, take the free shuttle back to the airport and pick up your transportation there.

We've used Tri-County Airport Express (vans or sedan) with great luck. http://www.florida-limo.com You can reserve or get instant quotes online, which is nice, since you don't have to wait for someone to get back to you. Very reliable. They will not pick you up in Miami, however, SuperShuttle will, and bring you back to FLL airport after your cruise. http://www.supershuttle.com You might arrange for the return trip with SuperShuttle.

Why not SuperShuttle both ways? Each service is based out of its respective airport (Tri-County out of FLL and SuperShuttle out of MIA). They will take you anywhere FROM that city/airport, but can only pick up in their city/area. Hope that makes sense! Good luck!

I always fly in to FLL a day early and take a shuttle/taxi or limo to Miami since a lot of the Miami hotels have complimentary (or pretty cheap) shuttles to the port. It's about a 45 minute ride from FLL to Miami. I agree with Jimbug, Tricounty is good to use.

We are going on the VOS in Jan, and used priceline to book a hotel in Downtown Miami (we got the Courtyard Marriott for 50$) and they said they have a shuttle to the Port for $5 a person. We will probably use Tricounty once we get into FLL.

Also, this past year when a group of us went we used Absolute Limousine and it was $90.00 one way for a 10 passenger superstrech limo. That was definitely worth the money, and I would HIGHLY recommend them.

Good Luck!!

Thanks for all the great info-I think that after 5+ hours of flying, with 2 kids, I will spend the night in FL, then shuttle it to the port in the morning-I just contacted the shuttle company and they said to allow 45min to an hour for the ride from FL to the port of Miami, so I guess the best thing is to get up, have breakfast, and hop the shuttle to MIA-

I love getting into my cabin at 1:00pm ,the earliest possible time-makes me really feel like Im getting my money's worth-

SO I guesss its time to contact Song air and make it official-has anyone flown them?? I hear its the same as JetBlue, which I fly all the time from Long Beach, Ca to Vegas-

Any info on Song will also be appreciated, since you guys know everything!!!

On our cruise last October we flew into FLL stayed overnight at a hotel near the airport using their free shuttle to get there. Next morning we had booked Larrys Limo service. They were very prompt, clean limo, friendly service. We had a 10 pass white stretch and were the envy of all the people waiting for the shuttle to take them to the port in FLL.

It took about 45 min to get the the port of Miami and we enjoyed drinks on the road and our kids were in heaven with their first limo ride.

When we got off the ship after the cruise we called them and they were waiting for us after we got our luggage. Another nice ride back to the airport.

Roundtrip plus tip was about $200, much better than waiting for the crowded shuttle.

I would use them again.

Funcruiser

Ok, thanks to all of you saying how easy it is to fly into FLL for a Miami cruise, I just booked my flights on Song to get in the night before.

SO now, I need to choose a hotel in FLL for the night before the cruise-someone mentioned the La Quinta-any other suggestions-all I need is a hotel close to the FLL airport, a clean room, a nice pool (2 kids), and room service!! In room movies would be nice too, since we will probably stay in after a day of flying.

Sugestions??

One suggestion, if you are flying into FLL and taking a cruise transfer, don't fly in too early. The reason being that RCCL (and Celebrity) will not send the first bus of passangers until about 10:30ish (that is if debark has ended on time). Your best bet is to fly in and get in are 9:30ish as if it is a busy day it may take some time to get on a bus even after the bus service has started.

I used to work for RCCL/CC at FLL and I think it is the safest bet for getting to the port and the price is worth it.

Hi again,

Now that you've mentioned what you're looking for, I'd pick the Wyndham FLL Airport over the LaQuinta anyday. We usually choose LaQuinta because it's a little cheaper, but Wyndham is more luxurious. It has a beautiful pool area, free roundtrip airport shuttle, in-room movies, room service, cafes on-site, etc. Here is a website: http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/FLLHT/main.wnt

Hope this helps. It comes with very high reviews. I have stayed there for one night and was very pleased.

Thanks for all the great info-I think that after 5+ hours of flying, with 2 kids, I will spend the night in FL, then shuttle it to the port in the morning-I just contacted the shuttle company and they said to allow 45min to an hour for the ride from FL to the port of Miami, so I guess the best thing is to get up, have breakfast, and hop the shuttle to MIA-[/quote

I believe it might be more economical to stay in Miami. Otherwise, you will need to take a cab to hotel in FLL and cab back to the airport unless you get a shuttle to pick you up at hotel which is more expensive.

The hotel we stayed in was the Comfort Inn/Suites in Daina. They had a free shuttle from the airport and picked us up within 15 min of me calling them.

The hotel was clean, room had 2 q beds and a sofa bed. Friendly staff. Great for us the kids each had their own bed so no fighting over that. The pool was a bit small but plenty big enough for our son who had it all to himself and there was a hottub also. Very good breakfast the next morning (free)

While there is not much in the way of resturants there was a Walgreens next door and a small shopping strip with a grocery store that had yummy food in the deli/hot and cold. You can pick up soda for the cruise and what ever you might forget to pack...

There was also a microwave/fridge in the room so the kids nuked popcorn while watching pay per view movies. We would stay here again.

The best part was the stay was free with our choice hotel points.

Funcruiser

Good choice on not taking the airline with all those connections. With 2 kids it makes for a horrible, long day. We went through it in August, and I managed to get a cold, so 3 decompressions were agony on the ears. We stayed at the airport Hyatt in Orlando, as we got in late and needed to get the kids to bed. Staying the night in Ft. Lauderdale is a good idea in order to feed the kids and get them to bed. Going to Miami the same day would add more stress to your life, and who needs that?:)

We seem to be having the opposite problem- I am trying to book flights for my daughter and fiance for their honeymoom. They are cruising on Mar. 11 out of Ft. Lauderdale. They will be flying from Kansas City, Mo. It is so far a lot cheaper to fly into Miami for them rather than FL. Southwest has not released the dates for March yet, so we may still have that option. If not, would they just be able to do the transfers as you are all talking about, just in reverse, from Miami to FL? Has anyone done this? Who did you use and how much? Thanks!!

Hi Keri,

SuperShuttle (http://www.supershuttle.com) should be a great and inexpensive option for them to get from MIA to Port Everglades in FLL. Of course, RCCL or whatever cruiseline you're using should also offer a transfer, as well. However, it is usually cheaper to book independently. On the return trip, Tri-County (http://www.florida-limo.com) can get them back to MIA airport.

Im sooooooooooo frustrated with this.

Because my son is 24 1/2 he will have to pay 25.00 extra for car rental....

so now Im at square one - I "think" super shuttle from MIA to FLL will work?

Does super shuttle pick you up at the port?

Archived