If you had to pick...

dcl1710

Mahahual, Belize, or Grand Cayman? We can only dive twice - want to get some fishing in as well as diving. Which 2 spots would you go to? Thanks in advance for the advice! We are looking forward to see these spots after St. John's and St. Thomas.

Tough call.....

We've got the same Ports coming up plus Cozumel. Have not dove Mahahual or Belize but both are supposed to be excellent being basically the same reef system as Cozumel. Heard Mahahaul reefs are still unspoiled by developement much like Cozumel was 20 years ago. Likewise, Blue Hole in Belize is supposed to be a no miss destination but might not be cruise itinerary friendly because of the distance. The closer locals are still superb. If you are on Princess, their excursion picks you up and drops at the ship so you don't have to tender.

Now, for Grand Cayman.....have dove there many times. The reef system is recovering from last years Hurricane, but still not up to its norm as of April. We are going on a land vacation there next week so will be reporting conditions when we return after 29th. The link below has a short quicktime video(takes a little while to load) of GC from April along with photos of Cozumel from the same period which should give you an indication of what the reefs in Mahahual & Belize look like.

Now, to answer your question...........I would pick the following two.

Mahahual & Grand Cayman

Mahahual for it basically virgin reefs and Grand Cayman because its an entirely different reef & eco system.

I think Belize deserves more time devoted to it than a cruise stop can provide is my main reason for not picking that destination.

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

I would definitely put Grand Cayman at the top of your short list.

As for the second choice, that is a tough call, at least for me. Flip a coin?

Mahahual will have cheaper and a little easier to arrange diving, so I'd probably pick here to dive. I think there are only a couple of dive operators there. Then I'd spend the rest of the day hanging out at the beach.

I think the diving itself might be better in Belize, but the ship's excursion there is expensive and (I think) it is harder to arrange your own diving there.

Too bad Cozumel isn't one of your choices.

Mahahual, Belize, or Grand Cayman? We can only dive twice - want to get some fishing in as well as diving. Which 2 spots would you go to? Thanks in advance for the advice! We are looking forward to see these spots after St. John's and St. Thomas.
Grand Cayman & Belize ..... if you have enough port time in Belize you can book with Sea Sport Belize which is not as pricey as the cruise excursion. We tendered into town, walked a few blocks to their shop and jumped in a 6 pack. Had a terrific time. Our dives in Mahahual were just okay ... I would easily pick Belize over Mahahual.

Dear Bruce-R: what does Cozumel have? We are planning to deep sea fish at that stop but our plans can change. This is our first time to this part of the Western Caribbean. Thanks for the help:)
Fishing would be fun, but Cozumel is really known for it's great drift diving, and is easily the best diving compared to Belize or Mahahual, IMO. Diving there is easy to arrange too. I think there are even a couple of dive operators that will let you fish during your surface interval, though I don't remember their names. Perhaps you could do the fishing in Mahahual instead of Cozumel.

Archived