Mobility Issues and Petra, Jordan

saffikins

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice from anyone who has successfully visited Petra with a mobility issue.

My partner has sciatic nerve damage following a hip replacement (young 45) and has some paralysis in lower leg as a result, which can lead to limited mobility at times, she can do some steps etc (for example, boarding an aircraft) but struggles with distance due to pain and tiredness.

We are calling at Aqaba on our upcoming Ovation of the Seas cruise and I have been doing some research around visiting Petra, including a search on here where most of the advice tended towards don't try to do it, with the exception of one lady, who seems remarkable in that she had managed to see many of the worlds heritage sites.

However on the visit Jordan website, I found the following:

It is not permitted for motorized vehicles to enter the site. But if you don't want to walk, you can hire a horse or a horse-drawn carriage to take you through the one kilometre Siq. For the elderly and/or handicapped, the Visitors' Centre, close to the entrance of the Siq, will issue a special permit (at an extra fee), for the carriage to go inside Petra to visit the main attractions. Once inside the site, you can hire a donkey, or for the more adventurous, a camel - both come with handlers and take designated routes throughout the site.

*http://international.visitjordan.com/Wheretogo/Petra.aspx#.dpuf

So, I'm just wondering has anyone availed of this special permit and if so, had you organised an independent trip to Petra or did you do it as part of a ship excursion?

Also, whilst I respect the traditions and way of life of other cultures, I don't like seeing animals being mistreated and would be adverse to the idea of using these animals if it was detrimental to their welfare [emoji15]

I shall post this on the Africa and Middle East forums as well, in the hope that someone can help with my queries.

Many thanks in advance

Karen

Edited by saffikins

Some years ago on a group tour to Petra, we hired a horse and carriage. The driver sat with us and drove the horse at full speed on the rocks to the Treasury at the bottom. I don't know how the horse felt about it, but it scared the s**t out of me! You can sit there and view the Treasury.

Never saw any donkeys for tours any further in. There was a camel, but some handlers will add an extra charge to have the beast kneel so you may dismount.

BEWARE!

You must then wait for the return trip. As you may imagine the driver has very little incentive to take you as he has already been paid. A further tip may be required.

The view of the Treasury was spectacular! Getting in and out of the carriage may be difficult. If you can handle the carriage and the walk to and from it, it may be worthwhile. As for myself, I'd much rather having done it than having to look forward to it!!!

The walk down the Siq is long, narrow and winding, and the floor is uneven. It's true that the horse carriages take it at speed, but I think that's the only way a person who has difficulty walking could do it.

Returning, the path is uphill - even harder.

I travelled to Jordan 2 years ago and visited Petra. It is definitely worth it, but not easy. At the time I was suffering bad back pain which really restricted how far I could walk. So we hired a Horse & carriage from just inside the visitor/entrance centre. There were many available. I don't remember anything about needing a permit though. It would be about 1 and a half Km's or so to the Treasury down a windy and rough track. The carriages have some padding in them but it will still be a rough ride, but doable if you can't walk far. The area around the Treasury is reasonably flat & not overly huge so someone with mobility issues does not need to walk around too much to see it from a couple of angles. And yes there were many camels and donkeys in that area which you could hire to take you further beyond the Treasury area to explore more of the ruins.

I would suggest to do a youtube/google search for an idea of what the horse & carriage experience might be like.

I travelled to Jordan 2 years ago and visited Petra. It is definitely worth it, but not easy. At the time I was suffering bad back pain which really restricted how far I could walk. So we hired a Horse & carriage from just inside the visitor/entrance centre. There were many available. I don't remember anything about needing a permit though. It would be about 1 and a half Km's or so to the Treasury down a windy and rough track. The carriages have some padding in them but it will still be a rough ride, but doable if you can't walk far. The area around the Treasury is reasonably flat & not overly huge so someone with mobility issues does not need to walk around too much to see it from a couple of angles. And yes there were many camels and donkeys in that area which you could hire to take you further beyond the Treasury area to explore more of the ruins.

I would suggest to do a youtube/google search for an idea of what the horse & carriage experience might be like.

Thank you for the helpful info, I think we are going to try to do it and will just see how we get on on the day