Coral World with RCCL or on our own?

Cruzden

We are planning an excursion with RCCL to visit Coral World. I don't believe this excursion, however, will allow us time to visit Koki beach right next to Coral World - which we would really like to do. I'm wondering now if we should cancel the excursion with RCCL and just take a taxi to/from Coral World on our own so we can do Koki Beach too at our leisure. Is it safe and easy to get a taxi for 3 to/from Coral World? Another option is to keep the excursion with RCCL but go back to the ship on our own (of course, we would let the tour guide know). Anyone have suggestions on the best way to go here? Thanks,Nancy

When you get off the ship, there will be plenty of taxis offering their services. I'd just get one and tell him you want to go to Coral World. It's right next to Coki Beach. You can see the building from the beach...just a short walk. The cabbie will come back and get you whenever you want, he'll be waiting in the parking lot for you!

If RCCL ship excursions are priced anything like Carnival, it will be much less expensive to do this on your own. JMO

Enjoy your cruise!!

We did Coki Beach on our last cruise and loved it. We took a taxi with another couple and our kids (7 total). It was safe and not very expensive. Next month we will probably do the same and go to Coki and then try Coral World. I know many people have not had good things to say about Coral World, however, we will have our two kids (7 and 3) with us and I think they will enjoy it.

Just wanted to confirm what the others have said. It is very very safe. About a 15 to 20 minute cab ride. It is a very common place to visit on the island. You will see many people from your ship there on the beach. Taxi's will also be available just about any time for your return trip.

It is a very stress free trip. I would recommend viewing Coral World's website to get the hours of tours and operation so you are prepared with all the info. There are also a few shacks on the beach for food and drinks and also a public restroom(although not fancy by any means).

I would also like to give you an idea for the kids. While on the ship that morning, have the kids take a box of SpecialK or the like to feed the fish. Once the kids are in the water they can crumble up a small amount of cereal in the water and the fish(all safe) will swarm around them. It's a thrill they might enjoy. And remember that there is a very nice coral and rock formation steps away from the beach in shallow water. If you're interested in that, purchase at least one inexpensive mask and snorkel at Walmart so that the kids can see all the fish there. Fins are not necessary as the salt water will make you float around without any need for swift movement!

Good luck!

You'll have a better time on your own!!!

I was wondering if Coral world was more for the younger children. Our boys range from 11- 15yrs old. They have been to Sea World many times and enjoyed it. Also how is Coki beach compared to Sapphire beach, especially for renting jet skis? Thanks

djheart007,

I've never been into Coral World, but if you do a search for CORAL WORLD ST. THOMAS you will be able to visit their website as well as view a gentleman's site where he has posted quite a few photos. I imagine you could search WEBSHOTS for photos too!

There is also a coupon available on the Coral World site that is good until 12/31/05. It gives a discount of $3.00 for Adults and $1.00 for children off of the admission price.

I do not remember seeing any jet ski rentals at Sapphire or Coki Beach.

As for Sapphire Beach, I would never go there again. The water was rough and the snorkeling was nothing to write home about.The hotel where they drop you off is in my opinion seedy. Also for a 12oz. beer and a small (8oz.) frozen DAQ. they charged $12.00 without tip. The food was very expensive, not very good and the service was BAD! This is only my opinion, but there was a recent thread on the Princess board that pretty much had everyone panning the place as well.

On my one and only visit there last year, we stayed for an hour then hopped in a cab over to COKI and we were so happy that we did. The water was calm, the snorkling was a lot better and the food and beverage choices were abundant. By the number of people at COKI, it was apparent that it was a more popular location.

I wish you luck in your decision!

Thanks for all your responses to my post. Crazsea - I really like your idea of taking some cereal! My daughter is nearly 4, and I think she would love to feed the fish. I believe I will cancel the excursion with RCCL, and we can do Coral World/Koki beach on our own (sounds easy). How much does a taxi run for 3 one-way?

Thanks again.

Thanks for all your responses to my post. Crazsea - I really like your idea of taking some cereal! My daughter is nearly 4, and I think she would love to feed the fish. I believe I will cancel the excursion with RCCL, and we can do Coral World/Koki beach on our own (sounds easy). How much does a taxi run for 3 one-way?

Thanks again.

Dog biscuits work very well also. One of the guys at the beach gave us a couple. So cool......the fish just come right up to you and eat!

We are going to Coral World as well in January. But there are 4 other cruise ships that will dock that day. Has any one been there when it was crowded? We do not dock til 11am. Is 3 hours enough time to do the both the beach and aquarium?

Sara

Archived