Is the Rainforest Feasible with our Port Hours?

cruisexlife

Hello,

I am looking to go to the rainforest on my next trip to San Juan in December. We will be docked 12PM-8PM. Being December, the sun is likely to set around 5PM-5:30PM. Will we be able to get a good day to really explore and see the rainforest? We have a biologist cruising with us, but she already said that she would rather skip it if she has to be limited time. There is still stuff in OSJ that we would like to see, so what are your recommendations? Do the rainforest for a few hours, or save it for a longer day or a land trip? And if you recommend the rainforest, could you also recommend some companies / which cruise ship excursion you did, and why you enjoyed it?

Thank you!

Sunset in December is 5:45pm ... it doesn't vary much here ... sunset in summer is 7pm.

El Yunque National Forest closes at 6pm, year-round.

It takes about 1 hour to drive OSJ to El Yunque ... taxi won't work, they can't go into the Forest. So need to rent a car or take a tour.

Recommend allowing at least 4 hours to "see" the forest (though a allowing a couple days is better). El Yunque is my backyard (literally), and in 13 years of living here we're still finding new things to see there!