Question on Any Mosquitoes in Ports on 12-night Anthem cruises

Would someone who has been on the 12-night Anthem itinerary to Labadee, San Juan, St, Maarten, Martinique, Barbados and St. Kitts report whether they noticed any mosquitoes in and around the port areas. With the Zika warning, I'm planning on wearing long pants and long-sleeved shirts and using insect repellent. Because I'm highly allergic to insect bites, I was wondering if anyone noticed an increase in insects flying around the port area or even while the ship is in port. Thanks all in advance for your help.

[quote name='cidymom']Would someone who has been on the 12-night Anthem itinerary to Labadee, San Juan, St, Maarten, Martinique, Barbados and St. Kitts report whether they noticed any mosquitoes in and around the port areas. With the Zika warning, I'm planning on wearing long pants and long-sleeved shirts and using insect repellent. Because I'm highly allergic to insect bites, I was wondering if anyone noticed an increase in insects flying around the port area or even while the ship is in port. Thanks all in advance for your help.[/quote]I have not been on the Anthem, but have been to all these ports, most both by ship and by shore based stay, most many times. Even though some mosquitoes do feed in the day time, I've never seen many at all, and can't recall ever being bitten - but I do take precautions.

There are a number of nasty mosquito borne diseases in the Caribbean, but I still go there. Although there is controversy over Zika and microcephaly, there is enough anecdotal evidence connecting the two I would consider not going if pregnant. There are internet reports claiming no connection, and blaming microcephaly entirely on larvascide; while I don't rule that out as a contributing factor, enough evidence points to Zika that IMO it would be foolish to disregard it. If not pregnant, Dengue and Chikungunya would worry me more. Chances of catching any of these while on a cruise are relatively low, but do exist,especially if you take no precautions.

Thom