Transportation in Venice

hmstins

I am so confused I could scream! I am trying to figure out how to get to our hotel (very close to San Marco) from the Santa Lucia Train Station. Every site uses different terminology and gives different directions! I understand there are two paths -- via the Grand Canal, or around Venice to the water stop just past San Marco.

I also understand there are different means of transportation, but I want the least expensive. Is that the vaporetto, the water bus, the Aliluguna (sp?) or what? I appreciate any help you experts can give me! We will be arriving Santa Lucia around noon-2:00 pm on Friday, May 6.

Thanks!!!!

Take the no. 2 waterbus. It's 7.5 euro. If you have more than one bag per person, they theoretically have the right to limit you.

If you're going to be taking the water buses in Venice later that day or the next day or a few days, buy a multi-day pass and it will work out cheaper.

The stop is right in front of the train station. It's called "Ferrovia." It takes about 20 mintues to get to the San Marco area. The two main stops there are San Marco and S. Zaccaria. Look on google maps to see which is closer to your hotel (or which requires fewer bridges if luggage is an issue). The number 2 goes in two directions. There is a map that shows the stops at the entrance. If in doubt, when you get on, ask the guy "San Marco?" and see if he nods.

Edited by Regguy

Thank you so much for the information - just what I need!!!

We will be spending only one night in Venice and need to go to the ship the next day, Saturday, for a cruise. Do you think the hotel can give us directions or do you know how to do that?

I appreciate your help more than you can imagine!!! This is my 23rd cruise and my 6th time to Europe and Venice has almost defeated me!

Take the "Alilaguna" water bus, blue line. It's different from the water bus I just described. It is a separate company. It leaves from San Marco or San Zaccaria and ends right at the cruise port. Here is the web site: http://www.alilaguna.it/en/linea-blu

It's around 8 euro per person. I think leaves roughly every 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the season and the time of day.

San Marco and San Zaccaria are very busy stops for a number of different water vehicle lines, and each uses a different platform, so you want to make sure that you're at the right platform for the Alilaguna blue line headed toward the cruise terminals. Leave yourself extra time to make sure you're on the right platform.

This assumes you're leaving from the main cruise terminal, which virtually all of the big cruise lines do these days.

Actually, I believe I haven given you bad advice. So, the number 2 water bus that I referred to does not go in a loop. From Ferrovia, if you want to go the S. Marco stop, you will take it in one direction, but if you want to take it to S. Zaccaria, you want to go the other direction. So, the thing I told you about pointing and asking the guy is not right. You'll need to figure out which of those to San Marco two stops you want to go, and choose the proper direction at Ferrovia accordingly.

If you want to make it less complicated, take the No. 1. It will be pretty clear which direction. It will take longer. But it stops at both San Marco area stops, and, at the end of the day, you're cruising down the grand canal in Venice, so what's a little extra time!

I forgot to ask you where to buy tickets for these trips. I have heard you can get them from a machine and have to validate in a different machine? Is this true? I don't want to get fined if I get on without having a validated ticket!

Thanks again!

When you come out of the train station, you should see the huts that sell the tickets, which are right near the platforms. The company is ACTV, and I think the huts say "ticket point" or "biglietteria" on them. I think you can also pay on board, but I'm not sure if this applies only when the ticket booths are closed. If you do this, you're supposed to tell them right away.

There's a card reader near the entrance to the platform where you validate your tickets -- if you stand there for 30 seconds and watch others you'll see how it's done.