Local Non-Touristy Restaurants "Finds"

loves2cruz

We'll be on the POAm in a couple of weeks from now and are interested in finding local, good, reasonable, not fancy restuarants with local character for dinner and lunches on Oahu. Planning on renting a car and exploring, not necessarily spending too much time in Waikiki, but that is where we are staying. We're staying 2 nights pre-cruise and 2 post. Also, for interesting lunches while on the islands of Kona, Hilo, Maui and Kaui. Would so much appreciate any suggestions. We always like the off the beaten track places.

This is probably a good place to start browsing.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/specials/bestrestaurants05/browse

Food is so variable and people have very different expectations. It would help if you would narrow down your desires. How much are you looking to spend? Do you have any food likes or dislikes? Are you adventurous in your food choices or do you prefer Western type of food? This will help us in coming up with places that fit your requirements.

Spleen

We are adventuresome in eating. Not looking for western, but more local cuisine. Not looking for something expensive and fancy, looking for something different than we always get at home. Restaurants with their own warm charm. For example, when we went to Paris we were often the only non-french speaking people in the restaurant. In St. Martin we ate in a little Creole restaurant that was basically on the porch of someone's house.

At home we eat everything from Italian food, French food, Polsh ifood, lots of sushi and other Japanese food as well as Chinese and Thai, love seafood. I'm looking forward to trying poke.

When hubby and I were on Oahu, we drove almost everyday to the North Shore...We loved it there! IF you like to snorkel I know a great spot, as for food.......Jameson's By The Sea. Haleiwa Harbor ...North Shore of Oahu..amazing sunsets and great food~!

:p Also L&L BBQ great for authentic lunch

There is a place on Kapahulu called Ono's if you are looking for authentic. It is a absolute hole-in-the-wall but the locals line up for it. The prices are very reasonable and the food quite good. Ono is Hawaiian for delicious.

When we cruise, we like to do the same thing and try the local fare. We wanted a place in Hilo to go for lunch instead of eating on board the ship. Best thing we did was ask the cab driver where she recommended for lunch.

Nori's Saimin & Snacks

688 Kinoole St Ste 124

Hilo, HI 96720-3868

Portions are not small!!!!! We had the plate lunch, which we shared. On it there was rice, macaroni salad, fried fish, teriyaki, chicken, short ribs and lo mein noodles. We couldn't finish it! But not only was it good, but for less than $20 including soda and tip, it was well worth it!

Try it!

Anita

On Maui, the Paia Fish Market in the town of Paia, just east of Kahului, is one of the best fish sandwiches I've ever had! L&L Hawaiian Barbecue is a chain with several locations, and broke da mouth! (very ono). Also on Maui, in Kihei, is Da Kitchen, another plate lunch spot with great laulau.

Back in 2000, on Hwy 11 on Big Island, in coffee country, I saw a sign for mango pickles. A local guy was selling them from a refrigerator in his car port. Those kept me going for days.

Lastly... I tried bringing ogo seaweed (purchased at supermmarket in Kona) back onto the Inifnity to combine with the sushi from sushi bar to make my own "poke" . . . . no go on the ogo! Security would not let in on board as it was considered a raw and unprocessed foodstuff. Bummer!!!!!

Actually, from my standpoint, L&L isn't very good. It's islandwide with a lot of stores which is why it gets all the press but honestly, the plate lunches that they do are very average. For the real deal, I would go to Rainbow's Drive Inn on Oahu off of Kapahulu Avenue (very close to Waikiki). One of the best plate lunches on the island. I recommend the mixed plate lunch - ask for brown gravy on the chicken cutlet. :) It's certainly not health food - but dang, is it good.

Another good place - Kua Aina burgers. Two locations - in Haleiwa (which is sort of the original location) and the expansion location in Ward (next to Starbucks). The mahi sandwich is fantastic though the burger is really outstanding.

I also recommend Ono Hawaiian Food on Kapahulu for Hawaiian food - miles better than the generic Hawaiian food than you get at luaus.

A cheap and surprisingly good source of poke is Costco in Hawaii (i know, weird). Check the seafood section - there's usually a seafood case selling poke there - cheap. Selection can be limited depending on when you go but the price can't be beat.

Spleen

I have to concur anout L&L. I like their Loco Moco but that is about it. I think even Zippy's (another chain) has better food than L&L. Zippys has great chili and I really like their chili burrito plate. My kids like the plate lunches there and they are very convenient for take out.

But I dont recommend Zippy's as the best....just more consistant and better than L&L. Actually, we usually order their Thanksgiving to go package since we are not living near family here.

Spleen, maybe you know this one....across the parrking lot from Walmart on your side of the island, is a plate lunch place...is it called Loco Moco? I always stop in there when I go to Walmart around the lunch hour. They have a really tasty lunch.

As far as somewhat more upscale has anyone been to either of these. I saw Sam Choy on the travel channel and he got my interest.

I know Alan Wong's is suppose to be a really good upscale restaurant.

Sam Choy has two places, Sam Choy's Breakfast, Lunch, Crab & Big Aloha Brewery and Sam Choy's Diamond Head Restaurant.

Has anyone been to any of these? Was wondering if the cost is worth it for Alan Wong and if Sam Choy's are moderately priced and good.

Another couple of restaurants that I was thinking about Is the Side Street Inn in the Ala Moana area and the Little Village Noodle House in Chinatown.

Suebee - I'm pretty sure that it's a Loco Moco that's across from the Walmart in Kunia. Loco Moco is an interesting chain - they're a rip off of L&L which I can understand from the standpoint of commercially doing well but food-wise, lacks something.

Zippy's is very good chili - but we grew up eating there and I have fond memories of hanging out in Zippys while growing up (since they're open 24 hours, the one on King Street used to be our late night hangout) so nostalgia may be flavoring my taste buds. :)

I used to like Sam Choy's a lot but really feel that the restaurants have slipped recently. I have never liked Breakfast Lunch and Crab (been there 3 times and on the last trip, the server spilled beer all over my pants - 'nuff said) though I know others that do so it may be a personal thing.

Alan Wong's is fantastic. Gets my vote as one of the best restaurants on the island (though certainly not cheap and is not not fancy). If you want to do a cheaper/less fancy version, you could also visit Pineapple Room in the Macy's in Ala Moana Shopping Center - it's his casual place (though it's still sit down with linens and the works).

Side Street Inn is a lot of fun. Good food - it's where a lot of the popular chefs in Hawaii hang out after work (chefs Mavro, Alan Wong, Roy Yamaguchi, Hiroshi Fukui, etc. have been spotted there from time to time). Get the pork chops and the fried rice if you go. It's meant to be pub type of fare and everything is ala carte and designed to be shared - works well if you have a big group. It's also got zero ambiance - it's a bar essentially so don't expect much in terms of fanciness if you go.

Spleen

Hamura's Saimen in Lihue, Kauai. Manago Hotel in Captain Cook in Kona. Both are local institutions; funky, dirt cheap and good. Serve local food, not the kind tourists think as Hawaiian food but the stuff locals eat everyday. Sam Choy is over-rated and over-priced in my opinion.

I think Pacific Cafe in Kappa, Kauai, also in Honolulu, is one of the great restaurants serving fusion cousine in Hawaii. I haven't been there for a few years. Is it still good? It's a dinner house and it's expensive. But if you have an overnight there, it's worth a trip, if the local posters here say it's still good.

In Kona, we ate at Quinn's. It was great. It looks like a hole in the wall, but the food was very good. It was a local hangout. We discovered it by asking one of the ship's crew where they ate. She recommended Quinn's. Just ask someone at the pier (there is an information booth there) how to get there. It is just around the corner & up a street a couple of blocks.

Pacific Cafe is gone in Honolulu. Jean-Marie Josselin had some problems financially and was on the verge of going bankrupt - might have actually. I'm not sure if the Pacific Cafe on Kauai (the original) is still his or not.

Spleen

What a shame! We used to look forward to having dinner there whenever we were in Kauai or Maui. Do you know what's Jean-Marie Josselin doing now? I thought he's quite a talent chef, though sometimes his food was a little too much to taste.

Is Roy's in Maui still there? Is it still good? Obviously I haven't been back in the islands for quite a while.

Simon - I'm not sure what he's doing now. He also had a restaurant in Vegas called 808 in Caesars Palace - not sure if that's there either any more.

Per people's report, Roy's Nicolina is gone on Maui. Roy's Kahana Grill is still there as well as the Roy's in Kihei. I remember Roy's in Kihei being pretty good but the last time I was there was about 2-3 years ago.

I'll be back on Maui in November for a conference so I'll have a better feel then on the restaurant scene there. :)

Spleen

Archived