Thomson Majesty 1st time cruise

No need to worry about the dress code. If you want to attend the captain's dinner then it is a good excuse to get dressed up and go for it. Having said that I often wear wide leg trousers usually white which can look glam and a nice top.

Most other evenings I wear linen trousers and different tops and dress them up with jewellery.

If you go in the casual eateries then you can wear what you like. Personally I like to make the change from day to evening and dress up a little no matter where I eat.

That's a great help Thanks. I too like to dress up a bit in the evening, but hate dresses. Don't suit the linen look either as a shortass. I have black 3/4 and am getting white ones too, so will dress those up and cringes the dresses that I have bought, haha.

A few tips we have picked up from cruise critic

Take some plastic suction hooks

Take an extension socket you will then only need one adapter

Travel hair straighteners

Take a small case in addition to your normal cases. You can book up to three cases into the hold providing you don't exceed the 20kg hold allowance. You can also take up to 7kg hand baggage. The small case is handy when you arrive as you can take a change of clothes instead of waiting for your cases to arrive. Also on the last night you have to put your cases out in the early hours so you can use the small case for whatever you need in the morning.

If you don't have an inclusive drinks package order a white rum and coke rather than a Bacardi and coke as it is slightly cheaper.

Hello Harobed,

I'm on the same cruise as you are, my 2 grown up kids and their partners are coming on their first cruise too.

Don't get too worked up over the dress code, whatever you feel comfortable in, you get both ends of the spectrum, people who like to dress up and those that don't.

Smart casual is the order of the day for the majority, although the Captains night is a great excuse to dress up.

Cabins on the Majesty are not massive, outside plus is "cosy", but basically all you are doing is sleeping and changing, so it's not a problem.

the staff are excellent and I'm sure you will be hooked just like the rest of us once you have your maiden voyage under your belt.

• 1 month later...