Review: Norwegian Getaway 03/27-04/03/2016

zackarykeef

One of the best reviews I have read. Going to Western Caribbean in June, so that part didn't help, but was glad to hear you had no troubles with getting off. Were wondering how big a problem it would be in Belize. We have have positive experiences on all our NCL voyages, with the exception of a storm in the Atlantic, and who can predict that? We also plan on taking Getaway on their TA next April. Thanks for all your time spent letting us know what is best.

Thanks for the positive upbeat review! We are so looking forward to our cruise on the beautiful Getaway this coming Oct.! I am trying hard to convince my hubby that we could totally live in Fla. when we retire (so sick of winter - booo!), but he is unsure of the humidity & summer oppressive heat. :rolleyes: He loves cruising now though, so that is an incentive! Plus I think feeding the outdoor wood burner in those artic blasts we can get time to time may help. ;) We will be down a few doors from where you stayed. Not too bad a walk after getting off the lift, eh?

I hope you adore the Pearl as much as we did! She was our 1st and has special memories. :) She won't be anywhere near as "posh" or even that Miami vibe, but she sure is a wonderful girl in her own right! Have a spectacular time! That is one on our bucket lists as well... that and the Panama Canal!

Thank you so much for the review! I haven't seen anything very positive and was getting a little concerned for our trip this summer.

I just want to say to you... take it all with a complete grain of salt! It is much easier for most to gripe about all these "little things" than to post what a wonderful time they had. Most vacations come with some hiccups, but you really make it what it is. ;) I think we'll both have an AWESOME time on aboard the Getaway when our trip rolls around!! :D

Sounds wonderful to me...and I like cheesy musicals. Do you need to reserve these shows in advance? Sounds like restaurants are not too hard to get into too. And Spice and Vibe..difference? All that good medium rare meat...YUM. I survived a cattle ranch and I am a carnivore.

My nephew took his second cruise and first of his 20's at 20 last year on the one from NYC..this year for spring break he did service work in Peru. both places he had the time of his life and of course completely different. His youth group goes and his minister was best friends with a musician in his ships version of Tropicana. He know ropes of all places and the did safely moped somewhere..so sad about that recently.

Thanks for making me excited to try Norwegian again..the deals seem wonderful lately...I tend to have to go rather last minute.

Edited by sjn911

Thank you for your review Zack!! I'm feeling so much better about my cruise later this month. You mentioned having to use 2 of your SDP's at the Teppanyaki Restaurant. Is this because you each ate 2 entrees?

I think he meant he ate at Teppanyaki on two different nights, one they had preksumabled planned and the other to make up for the reservation they cancelled. That is how I read it anyways, not 100% sure!

Thank you for this review! A lot of information put into one post, I am cruising on the Getaway next year and don't really mind the negativity it gets because I am pretty confident I will enjoy myself (and because of that thought, I probably will :) ) But it was still really nice to read some positivity!! Glad you enjoyed!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! l (we) like you always try to see the positive on our vacation heck your not at home cooking and cleaning or at Work. I so appreciate the positivity in your tone. We cruise in May on NCL after cruising CCL for many years so we are excited for something new! Alaska is on the Bucket list hope you enjoy.

Shelley

You mentioned having to use 2 of your SDP's at the Teppanyaki Restaurant. Is this because you each ate 2 entrees?

I think he meant he ate at Teppanyaki on two different nights, one they had preksumabled planned and the other to make up for the reservation they cancelled. That is how I read it anyways, not 100% sure!

emshawn is correct. We had 4 meals to use with our SDP...so we chose to eat at Moderno, Cagneys, and Teppanyaki twice!

Sounds wonderful to me...and I like cheesy musicals. Do you need to reserve these shows in advance? Sounds like restaurants are not too hard to get into too. And Spice and Vibe..difference?

We did reserve our shows in advance on our August cruise, but have heard from many others that getting in without one does not seem to be an issue.

A lot of people say restaurants need to be booked as soon as you can at the 90 day window, but we usually only book our cruises a month before. I made reservations in advance about a week before the cruise this time, and all our reservations were between 7-8pm (which is when we like to eat...some may consider 5-7pm a "prime" dinner time, but that doesn't give you much time after getting back on the ship to relax and change before dinner IMO). And we were on a busy "spring break" cruise, so the fact that dinner reservations were fine a week before and easily switched on board was nice.

Spice is an adults-only area on Deck 15 aft...all (adult) guests can use it free of charge. Vibe is another adults-only area, but you must buy a pass once onboard (right away apparently)...they only let a certain amount of people purchase them, so it is never crowded. Have never been in Vibe, but like I said...since there were so many kids this cruise, Spice was much emptier than in August...it was great!

Edited by zackarykeef

• 3 months later...
Thank you! Our first NCL cruise will be on the Getaway this summer so I love reading about the ship! How is the dining room food? We only had the beverage package included and have debated buying the SDP, although we aren't sure it's needed. We are also considering trying to get Vibe passes. Our only hesitation is we only have 2 sea days. I would be very disappointed if we couldn't find seats in the sun in Spice H2O. Our first sea day we have an 11:00 M&G followed by the wine tasting lunch/comedy show. I'm sure I will want to sunbathe afterwards.

How did you like the cruise? We are planning one in October and have only done Carnival so far.

Great review. really enjoying it. I keep seeing mention of vibe passes.

On this post and others. What are Vibe passes and how do I get one.

Cruising in Getaway September 18th. Thanks so much for the review:)

Come join our Roll Call we and sign up for the Meet and Mingle scheduled for Monday 9/19, first day at sea, at 11:00 am.