A sincere question

As a smoker who has quit on several occasions for more than three years at a time, I try to be respectful of non smokers. I do not smoke inside any building, car, or cabin. But, I do get a balcony so I can smoke. Isn't it funny, that there are more non smokers than smokers, yet there was only one non smoking ship, and that didn't last long. I remember a time I was in the Schooner Bar on the Rhapsody of the Seas with a friend who also smokes, when this couple came in and sat right next to us and asked if I would put my cig out. We were the only ones in the bar at the time and there was no entertainment either. Of all the places they could have sat, they chose to sit right next to us. So I poliely told them that since I was in the smoking section, and I was smoking when they walked in, I probably be still smoking when they left. This nice fine young lady reeked of perfume. She must have taken a bath in it. The bartender who did not smoke came over to us and asked us to blow smoke on him, because he could take all that perfume. We had such a laugh over it.

I'm a smoker and I won't quit smoking because someone else waves hands or coughs or gives me dirty looks.

I respect other's spaces (non smoking areas) and expect to be respected when I light a cigarrette in a designated smoking area.

Smokers are treated as garbage by some people who don't understand that when we started smoking it was socially allowed, even expected to. We now need the nicotine, believe me it's not nice to be sent to smoke outside when it's rainning or when it's snowing or when you're above 100 degrees outside!, but our bodies NEED that substance to work. So, I believe that I deserve as much respect about getting my nicotine as some sick people need some medications to feel ok.

My rights end where the rights of other people begin, but other's rights end where my rights begin.

So... I'll stay at my smoking designated areas and won't even glance when someone comes coughing or waving hands to my space. And PROMISE not to go to smoke free areas.

I'm a smoker and I won't quit smoking because someone else waves hands or coughs or gives me dirty looks.

I respect other's spaces (non smoking areas) and expect to be respected when I light a cigarrette in a designated smoking area.

Smokers are treated as garbage by some people who don't understand that when we started smoking it was socially allowed, even expected to. We now need the nicotine, believe me it's not nice to be sent to smoke outside when it's rainning or when it's snowing or when you're above 100 degrees outside!, but our bodies NEED that substance to work. So, I believe that I deserve as much respect about getting my nicotine as some sick people need some medications to feel ok.

My rights end where the rights of other people begin, but other's rights end where my rights begin.

So... I'll stay at my smoking designated areas and won't even glance when someone comes coughing or waving hands to my space. And PROMISE not to go to smoke free areas.

WOW!! The last of the militant smokers-I don't smoke, but cool!!!

I will take a smoke to that

Even though I am a non-smoker I believe that smokers have a right to smoke outside. If you dont like it - move on.

I am also a non-smoker and I agree with you 100%. ;)

Johnkut: I think it's likely that one of the reasons that the Carnival ship (Pride?) that was non-smoking now isn't is that it did only one itinerary, over and over and over. Who wants to go on the same cruise over and over and over with no variation or options. How about if a few cruises a year, per ship, were designated as non-smoking? I don't think it's that there aren't enough non-smokers or non-smokers who are also cruisers, I should say; I think it's that there was only the one option.

beachchick

Johnkut: I think it's likely that one of the reasons that the Carnival ship (Pride?) that was non-smoking now isn't is that it did only one itinerary, over and over and over. Who wants to go on the same cruise over and over and over with no variation or options. How about if a few cruises a year, per ship, were designated as non-smoking? I don't think it's that there aren't enough non-smokers or non-smokers who are also cruisers, I should say; I think it's that there was only the one option.

beachchick

That is a really good point.I never thought of it from that perspective.

Actually, Carnival was given a five year grant from the American Lung Association or American Cancer Society, I can never remember which, to build Paradise. There were very strict rules and no one was allowed to even smoke near her while she was being built in Helsinki.

We signed contracts prohibiting any smoking materials, including matches and lighters. Repercussions were removal from the cruise, forfeit of the remainder of the cruise, and return to home at passneger's expense. We actually saw someone being removed from the ship at a port for non-compliance. (Why smokers would book a non-smoking ship is beyond me.) Paradise was our very first cruise, so she will always be our favorite.

She alternated between Western and Eastern routes.

After the five years were up, which was more like six years, she was sent to the west coast about a year ago for short itineraries and is no longer a non-smoking ship.

Paradise history in a nutshell.

beachchick

Archived