Royal Caribbean running 20% off Beverage Packages... well, not really!

:mad:

Just got off the phone with RCI customer service and a CS supervisor. I got forwarded information that I could take advantage of a "20%" discount on their beverage package. So' date=' I thought, "sure, why not?". I never buy these other than soda packages.

So, when I decided to go and order the Premium package at it's "20%" off price, it showed that... but then tacked on an additional 18% gratuity fee! Now, I'd be fine if somewhere on that ordering page (the one where you add beverage packages) there was some sorta mention saying, "Btw- our pricing here doesn't reflect the hidden gratuity fee"... then I'd have known about it up front.

Cheers,

Paul[/quote']

Paul, the gratuities were also discounted 20% if that will make you feel better.

Take this into consideration. For every $100 in beverage package, you pay $118. When there is a 20% discount, that $100 becomes $80, and the total is $94.40. I get that you are disappointed that it wasn't $80 even but perhaps this will make you feel better. I don't believe this was an effort to scam anyone, but was a case of differing assumptions made between you and the cruise line.

Also - it depends on the departure point of the cruise. Cruises out of Southhampton have the gratuities included, I believe. So for some people who say gratuities weren't added to their cost, that could be an explanation.

Here is what the OP is referring to. There is inconsistency with how they advertise the prices.

Note: On our Allure cruise they do have the 20% off. Here is what it looks like on the first page, with the price noted as "from $47":

f73048cdd9244a0bb0d4e0407c8719a0.jpg

At checkout, the gratuity is added, indicating that it was not included in the original price, which makes it look cheaper... sales tactics.

5ad6423c875cd3b0e5a06773f549a616.jpg

Here is our Freedom package advertisement, with no discount:

f3043295a01d4d2ab77794c36799a33d.jpg

At checkout, there is no gratuity added, making me think it was already included in the quoted price:

5ec3580ae1f77d745bbeec7559dd4b26.jpg

NOTE: Our Freedom cruise is 8 days vs our Allure cruise at 7 days.

So, the pricing is not consistent. According to my calculations, after the gratuities are added, the savings are about 17%... It is still a much better deal than full price, which we will not pay.

APDMOM

Edited by APDMOM
error language

Two quick points to make.

1- I look almost every day to see if my sailing gets the 20% off package so I can scoop it up. That is a big savings.. messup on the gratuities or not.. be thankful you have it!

2- I COMPLETEY understand where the OP is coming from. DO not get frustrated or discouraged.. You have to understand that the people you are talking to more than likely have NO authority to give you anything. They are just there to make you go away and stop complaining. If you truly feel you deserve to get the package without the gratuities, then keep going higher and higher and trust me someone will give in and give it to you.

Do not wait for them to call you. Call their customer service line again and send emails ..(polite just like these) to them.

Just make sure it is worth the effort.

Principle often caused more problems than just reasoning and understanding!!