Santorini With Wheelchair

Regguy

I'm trying to figure out whether Santorini is possible with a guest in a wheelchair. She can walk short distances, and I think the cable car will be possible. The wheelchair folds and I think if we can get a car from near the bottom of the stairs (or the top from the top) we should be ok. My concern is what happens when we get to the top. Our plan would be either to rent a car or to do a 3-4 hour private tour. Does anyone happen to recall how complicated it would be to get from the upper cable car station to a vehicle (either one that I would pick up and drive to the cable car station or one from a private company)?

I'm trying to figure out whether Santorini is possible with a guest in a wheelchair. She can walk short distances, and I think the cable car will be possible. The wheelchair folds and I think if we can get a car from near the bottom of the stairs (or the top from the top) we should be ok. My concern is what happens when we get to the top. Our plan would be either to rent a car or to do a 3-4 hour private tour. Does anyone happen to recall how complicated it would be to get from the upper cable car station to a vehicle (either one that I would pick up and drive to the cable car station or one from a private company)?

Doable, but not easy. A few years ago, I brought my aunt (note: There two of us 30-somethings on this trip so we could help my aunt out) who was wheelchair-bound (on a cruise starting from Venice - no less!). The hardest part was getting her on/off the tenders, but we managed with the help of the crew. Once we got to the top at the upper cable car station, it was pretty easy. We got a taxi at the main street in Fira to take us straight to Oia. We asked the taxi driver to pick us up at a specific time and spot, and tipped him well on that first trip (~20 euros). He picked us up on the dot for the return trip.

My wife and I went last year to Santorini, for the second time, except just by ourselves this time. We rented a car from Tony's this time. If I had to do it again, I would rent a car from Tony's, drive back to the main street in Fira near the cable car station, and pick up my aunt. It would have been a little less nerve wracking, as I remember worrying about the taxi driver not coming back to pick us up that first trip.

Edited by leongcpa