Tiny fore cabins on the Elation: will we be sorry?

LeslitaKayita

This is our first cruise. Though this cabin is an 'upgrade,' it still looks like the bare minimum - ha! We have two portholes, and a cabin that looks very small compared to the other rooms along side it. We are U1 - very front cabin on the starboard side of Upper Deck.

Any comments from experienced cruisers and those who have been on this deck, and/or in one of these VERY forward cabins, are welcomed!

Counting down to our cruise,

Leslie

Haven't been in one of those cabins, but I've been on the Elation. It's a very nice ship. If you are prone to motion sickness, you will probably feel the movement in your cabin. My son could not hang out in the front of the ship when we sailed the Elation---funny, he was ok at the show, but couldn't stay in the gift shop (probably has to do with reading sizes, price tags........). Anyway, bring something for sea sickness, just in case.

Have a fun cruise.

Have been in those 5A cabins on Fantasy class ships. Not the very front but R or, M, or U2, don't remember the deck. They are non-standard cabins built into the ship as opposed to the regular cabins which are built in a factory and hoisted on board and plugged in. The non-standards run large, the second cabin was bigger [much] than a Cat. 11 on the same ship. Barb used to climb into the porthole recess and read while the ocean rushed by. When you arrive at a port, usually about 0 dark thirty, the bow thrusters are a rude wakeup and if they drop anchor it sounds like its coming thru the overhead. But those are things to be laughed about in memories.

We would do it again. Don't worry, just enjoy your cruise.

Dan

Well, Dan, I HOPE I laugh about the memories later, 'cause right now, an early wake up call for this very NON-morning person doesn't sound too cool. ha.;)

I was just telling my husband about everything I've been learning about our cruise, in my usual overly-researched fashion, and his reaction to it all is, 'let's just find out about it all as it happens.'

I'm never quite that relaxed, and the research is fun to me, but he's right and you're right - I just need to let it happen!

As for size of these cabins, they look very small on the deck plan. Interesting that someone would describe them as large; I will be curious to see what they are like. It is interesting that the port hole area is large enough to sit in. That I plan to do!

Leslie

Dan is absolutely right. I was in one of those cabins twice on a Fantasy class ship. I found that the floor plan was exactly the same as the rest of the cabins, with the same amount of space. You do have the unusual sound of the anchor dropping, but as Dan says, you can laugh about it. After all, you're on a ship. I actually like it when I'm reminded that I'm not in a hotel. The porthole area is big enough to sit in, and oddly enough, I found it very comfortable and addictive. It's also a wonderful spot to put your purchases that you accumulate throughout the cruise. Enjoy your experience and let the fun happen...don't try to plan it all in advance. Have a great time.;)

This is our first cruise. Though this cabin is an 'upgrade,' it still looks like the bare minimum - ha! We have two portholes, and a cabin that looks very small compared to the other rooms along side it. We are U1 - very front cabin on the starboard side of Upper Deck.

Any comments from experienced cruisers and those who have been on this deck, and/or in one of these VERY forward cabins, are welcomed!

Counting down to our cruise,

Leslie

You will hear the water hitting the hull of the ship at night. It's not that loud and took us a little while to figure out what the sound was.

Also if you have to tender from any ports be prepared to be awakened by the anchor being lowered.

Bill

We sailed Elation 9/04 and were in cabin E-9, right near the front of the ship.

Our cabin was fine. A little small, but we were only in a short period of time on the trip, and mostly stayed in bed when we were in there ;)

Anyway, two nights we got some rough seas from Hurricane Ivan, and you could really feel the movement at the front of the ship, so bring motion sickness pills. We also heard the very loud engines when we hit port, as well as the anchor when we got to Belize.

We still had a great time, and these observations were really not as bad as they sound.

Have a great time, we did!

-Mike & Leah

I like forward cabins. I've had cabins E1 and M6. I didn't think they were any smaller than any other cabin I've had. As far as motion, I didn't notice any great difference from midship cabins. Anchor dropping? Yes, it's pretty loud, but only lasts for a couple of seconds. I've heard the anchor drop on both those cruises , and the ports were docking ports, not tender. The porthole shelf is a great place to sit and enjoy the ocean.

Hi, we've sailed the Elation three times and have booked two more on her in the next 4 months. We've had the Cat 5a cabins two times before and we have them booked for the next two. You'll notice a difference in the hull side of the wall as it will be curved slightly, other than that they are the same size as standard cabins approximately 185 SF. A few are a little larger due to the way the configure the hallway access. We're in U-16 which is a little larger. Yeah you can sometimes hear the bow wave and in rougher seas a little more motion, but we like feeling like we're on a ship and rocking to sleep is a pleasure. Since you'll be going to Cozumel and if its a five day also Calica, you'll be tying up to a pier and the anchor won't disturb you, but you will hear the bow thrusters, and to me thats just my wake up call for breakfast. Enjoy your trip

Elation 11/10/05

Elation 01/28/06

25 cruises down

Hundreds to go

Archived