Credit card fraud after use in pier shopping area

mspink98

Good morning! We were on Oasis of the Seas late week, with a stop in Cozumel on Thursday. After a snorkel/dive trip, we walked around the shops in the pier area for a bit, where I used my card at Los Cinco Soles and the pharmacy closest to the pier (the drugs and deli one). Yesterday, someone used my card at a pharmacy in Guatemala for over $150. Since those two places were the only ones besides onboard our ship that the card was used, I'm thinking it must have been compromised at one of them. Just a heads up to be careful. No real harm done, our card company flagged the Guatemalan charge and contacted me right away, but needing to update payment information for every company I do business with that has that card on file is an annoyance I would have preferred not to deal with.

I suppose Cozumel is like any place else in the world where this could and does happen. I really feel sorry for those who use debit cards and find their bank accounts depleted. Much easier to deal with a credit card fraud issue. Still a hassle though, for sure.

Edited by przyk

Completely agree on credit vs. debit. I have a hassle to deal with rather than a disaster. This has happened to me several times in the past, the difference this time is that I'm pretty sure it originated at one of those two stores. We use our credit card for everything (yay, points!) and with past compromises it's been impossible to pinpoint where the issue started.