Help with SkyTrain?

6 of us (2 adults, 4 kids age 9-16) flying in to YVR end of June (On a Wednesday, midday). Staying at Pan Pacific. Trying to figure out best mode of transportation to get to hotel. From what I've read, seems like Sky Train is best option, but I'm getting confused. What's a Compass Card? Do we each need our own? What's expected fee to get to Waterfront from YVR, does that count this $5 extra fare, and do I read correctly that there's an additional $6 refundable deposit for the Compass Card(s)? I'm assuming (?) that there are kiosks at the airport to easily buy the proper tickets, just don't want to stand there holding people up because I don't know what to purchase.

Many thanks!

hi

there are about 6 ticket machines at the skytrain station and there are staff to help you out with the correct tickets for your journey

they helped us out last year really quick and helpful

sorry dont know about the travel cards

You've basically got all the info correct, just a little mixed-up.

First, you don't HAVE to buy Compass Cards. If you're coming back, or are willing to go to the hassle of buying one then returning it for the refundable deposit, you can save money by having one (the old discounted FareSaver rates are now only available with Compass).

If you're not using transit much though, regular 'cash' fares (despite the name, you can use Credit Cards to buy them) remain available. If you do choose Compass, yes you all need your own - kids too. None are young enough for free travel - and the 16yo, and any other 14+, will also have to buy adult fares as only valid local Student cards enable them to get the discounted Concession rates.

Regardless of Compass or not, you will have to pay the $5 inbound airport fee ('AddFare'), per person. Since it's a Wednesday, $4 2 Zone Fare is needed for all but the younger kids - they can get $2.75 2 Zone Concession fares. But all with have $5 added, even DayPasses (if you decide you're going to be zipping around 4+ times on transit the same day these are the best value - 3 tix, even one being 2 Zones, and you still spend less just buying 'cash').

Compass Vending Machines (CVM) will sell you Compass Cards at the airport BUT you cannot buy Concession Compass Cards at machines - only in person so the vendor can check ages. Buy these at 7-Eleven in the airport if you want them.

Your total cost will vary a few bucks based on the middle kids' ages - but all the AddFares + 3-5 adult/1-3 concession 2 Zone tix will end up about $50. Cheaper than two cabs ($70+tip) but not by an awful lot, so if you value the door-to-door aspect of cabbing and not having to wheel bags the extra three blocks, you might find the extra $20+ worth it.

Personally I'd be inclined to focus on whether or not you are likely to use transit multiple times during your stay - and if so, how many times per day is likely. If it's just to get to the hotel - take a cab, as the extra hassle to save not much money isn't a high value proposition for a group of six. If you are here several days and plan to use transit a lot, Compass saves 65cents per ticket for downtown travel - if you plan 10 or more trips each, it's definitely worthwhile even without handing the card back. If you're somewhere between the extremes, cash fares (NB: on buses this is literally cash, and Canadian-only, and no change given) or Daypasses are likely easiest.

Your total cost will vary a few bucks based on the middle kids' ages - but all the AddFares + 3-5 adult/1-3 concession 2 Zone tix will end up about $50. Cheaper than two cabs ($70+tip) but not by an awful lot, so if you value the door-to-door aspect of cabbing and not having to wheel bags the extra three blocks, you might find the extra $20+ worth it.
Another vote for 2 cabs with your large group. The $5 per person subway surcharge.... justifies the two taxis. Especially with luggage.

While I am inclined to recommend the 2 taxi plan I don't know if there are budget considerations in play. In any event here is a link to a very concise explanation to transit fares in Vancouver if there was anything I could add to this is that the Canada Line cars are very luggage friendly and the Compass Vending Machines at YVR accept US Visa and MasterCard and most Visa Debit cards.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Single-Fares.aspx

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. It's especially a relief to know I don't have to bother with turning in Compass Cards!

Not sure yet which route we'll go. Saving $20 not a huge deal, but we're all capable of rolling luggage a few blocks, too. We'll have Wed evening, then all day Thursday (hope to shuttle to Cap and Grouse Mtn) before we board the ship Friday. Might take public transportation a time or two again, but doubtfully enough times to warrant the Compass Card.

Thanks again for your speedy help!