Best sunscreen for salt water?

Cherlynn

We are going to try snorkeling for the first time on our Panama cruise in a couple of weeks and we were wondering if anyone has an opinion on a good sunscreen to use and any suggestions on how to use it. Put it on early in the day and then another coat before you get in the water? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:D

And be sure to use enough, many people do not:

British Medical Journal on how to apply sunscreen.

If you want fool proof UV protection, a dive skin or full 1mm wetsuit is really the way to go. If you just need to protect your upper half, then an article of clothing from a place like http://www.sungrubbies.com that sells UV protection clothing is also a good way to go. It is how we protect our red-head son who only freckles and burns, never tans.

I'll have to second the motion for diveskins. I paid about $40 - $45 for mine and it's one of the best investments I ever made. I'm one of those guys who can get sunburned just looking out the window on a sunny day. With the skins on all I do is put a bit of waterproof sunscren on my neck, cheeks and nose before I enter the water and then perhaps two more times during the day. I've snorkeled for a several hours in a day doing this and never got a hint of a burn.

Thanks so much for the help. We've never been snorkeling before and I do burn at the drop of a hat. I will certainly look into all the options you gave me. Although from the looks of Wilma, our snorkeling excursion to Cozumel in 3 weeks has been ruined. I certainly hope everyone there will be OK.

Archived