27 days out question ...

Hi all. I'm 27 days out from sailing on the Getaway again with my family and we are all very excited. Due to all of the upsell posts on here, I began checking a few weeks ago and they are finally doing upsells for my sailing.

Here's the question. We are two connecting cabins. I only want to upsell one to Haven and then move the other balcony to the balcony that connects with the Haven -- same category. Will we lose the free dining package we have for the balcony if we move it this close to sailing?

It's an ideal situation for us (for us to splurge and keep our kids in a connecting balcony) -- since we booked with a travel agent -- NCL won't answer this question and I can't reach the TA right now.

Any thoughts?

TIA

I do not know the info about the upsells or losing dining package, but think that it may be a problem with the upsell, wanting connecting Haven and balcony cabins on the upsell. Good luck!

Give your travel agent another call and say in message that if they cannot return the call today, that you will call back and ask for a manager. That might get a quicker response.

IF you can do the upsell to The Haven and the stateroom you want, you will retain any promotions you have with your current booking. You will not receive all 4 promotions and will still have to pay the gratuities on UBP/SDP promos (if applicable). Also unless you pre-pay DSC, your DSC will increase by $2 per person per day. You do not need your TA to do an upsell - just call them yourself and have your payment ready.

IF you did a guarantee balcony, which I doubt since you have connecting staterooms, you would most likely not be able to move.

If the connecting balcony stateroom is in the same class or lower as you are currently booked in, you should be able to move no problem and retain your current promotions/pricing. Don't expect a refund if its a lower category.

If the connecting balcony stateroom is in a higher category, you are doing an "upgrade", which is done through your Travel Agent. They MAY let you retain your current promotions, but be prepared to lose those and be booked under the current promotions.

Also just remember the passengers booked in the connecting balcony DO NOT have access to The Haven lounge, pool, sundecks, etc. Make sure to shuffle passengers according to who you want to have Haven benefits. The balcony passengers CAN join you in The Haven restaurant for a $25 upcharge per person. I believe they cap that at 2 meals, but ask when you board.

Best of luck! Let us know how it turns out!

Edited by MikeBTN

IF you can do the upsell to The Haven and the stateroom you want, you will retain any promotions you have with your current booking. You will not receive all 4 promotions and will still have to pay the gratuities on UBP/SDP promos (if applicable). Also unless you pre-pay DSC, your DSC will increase by $2 per person per day. You do not need your TA to do an upsell - just call them yourself and have your payment ready.

IF you did a guarantee balcony, which I doubt since you have connecting staterooms, you would most likely

If the connecting balcony stateroom is in the same class or lower as you are currently booked in, you should be able to move no problem and retain your current promotions/pricing. Don't expect a refund if its a lower category.

Also just remember the passengers booked in the connecting balcony DO NOT have access to The Haven lounge, pool, sundecks, etc. Make sure to shuffle passengers according to who you want to have Haven benefits. The balcony passengers CAN join you in The Haven restaurant for a $25 upcharge per person. I believe they cap that at 2 meals, but ask when you board.

Best of luck! Let us know how it turns out!

I would first check to see if the cabins you desire are available. I have better luck on a Brit site mentioned here frequently. If you find the configuration and up sell, keep 2 adults in the suite and book minors in the connecting cabin ( no adults can be in the connecting balcony for this to work) . Minors traveling with adults that are booked in a connecting suite will receive full Haven access. However, if you try and book 3 adults in the suite and kids only in the balcony it may be a no -go. But if you are a family of parents and minors, check availability and book it.

I have done this with our kids but have a relative who thought she would be clever and book 4 adults in an H6 and 3 kids next door( from 2 different families) NCL said no.

This is only my experience, others may vary.

Thanks to all of you for your responses.

Great news! First, it was considered an upsell too since I went from a BC to a BD category, so I had no problems moving the kids along with us.

We are so excited to be sailing in the Haven for the first time with a huge aft balcony!!!

Edited by Kfamilycruise
spelling

Thanks to all of you for your responses.

Great news! First, it was considered an upsell too since I went from a BC to a BD category, so I had no problems moving the kids along with us.

We are so excited to be sailing in the Haven for the first time with a huge aft balcony!!!

When you changed the balcony category of the kids, did you have to go to the new promos that are currently being offered? Or were you allowed to keep your old promos?

Did the upsell dept handle the move of the kids' cabin as well as the haven upsell? Or did you have to have your TA move the kids cabin?

Becky I was pleasantly surprised. I had the TA call reservations last night to double check about the promos and they were the ones that said that upsell could do it.

I did the kids cabin first and easily did upsell from BC to BD. They did not lose promos because it is considered an upsell.

We didn't lose our promos either going from BC to H6. So excited!

HTH.

Becky I was pleasantly surprised. I had the TA call reservations last night to double check about the promos and they were the ones that said that upsell could do it.

I did the kids cabin first and easily did upsell from BC to BD. They did not lose promos because it is considered an upsell.

We didn't lose our promos either going from BC to H6. So excited!

HTH.

Interesting. We're on Getaway 6/12. I called last week about upselling and was offered several Haven rooms, but I was only looking for a minisuite/balcony. She told me they don't upsell to balcony/minisuite rooms until the week before.

Interesting. We're on Getaway 6/12. I called last week about upselling and was offered several Haven rooms, but I was only looking for a minisuite/balcony. She told me they don't upsell to balcony/minisuite rooms until the week before.

I don't think that's a hard and fast rule. Every cruise is a different situation. Why don't you just call the regular reservation # and inquire how much it would cost you to go from whatever you are in to a balcony or minisuite. You may be surprised how little it might cost. If it's too high, wait a few days, and you can keep calling the upsell dept also. But not every upgrade has to be handled by the upsell department.

The upsell department may not be working on upsells to mini suites at the time you call, for instance, so they may say there is none available. However you can call the res dept and upsell yourself for whatever the going rate is. Family did this for their Escape cruise, from oceanview to balcony for about $100 pp. Several days later, they could have done it for $50 pp, but it was still a good deal based on what those prices were initially.

I don't think that's a hard and fast rule. Every cruise is a different situation. Why don't you just call the regular reservation # and inquire how much it would cost you to go from whatever you are in to a balcony or minisuite. You may be surprised how little it might cost. If it's too high, wait a few days, and you can keep calling the upsell dept also. But not every upgrade has to be handled by the upsell department.

The upsell department may not be working on upsells to mini suites at the time you call, for instance, so they may say there is none available. However you can call the res dept and upsell yourself for whatever the going rate is. Family did this for their Escape cruise, from oceanview to balcony for about $100 pp. Several days later, they could have done it for $50 pp, but it was still a good deal based on what those prices were initially.

This is what I want to do. Unfortunately, it will reduce my promos dramatically, so I'm on the fence

This is what I want to do. Unfortunately, it will reduce my promos dramatically, so I'm on the fence

Do you know this for a fact? This has never been our experience. KFamily confirms the same above. No change to their promos for an upsell. Just ask how much $ and if anything will change re promos and then make your decision.

Do you know this for a fact? This has never been our experience. KFamily confirms the same above. No change to their promos for an upsell. Just ask how much $ and if anything will change re promos and then make your decision.

The key difference is Upsell department or "Upsell" yourself via the regular reservations department. If you call Upsell and take what they are offering you keep your promos. If you call the regular reservations line it is typically a cancel/rebook so you lose what you had and get what they are currently giving.

The key difference is Upsell department or "Upsell" yourself via the regular reservations department. If you call Upsell and take what they are offering you keep your promos. If you call the regular reservations line it is typically a cancel/rebook so you lose what you had and get what they are currently giving.

This is not correct. You do not need to do a cancel and rebook in order to change your cabin.

Cancel and rebook situations are usually done when, for instance, you booked a balcony cabin and now, before final payment, the balcony price has dropped and you want the savings. You can cancel and rebook with no penalty. You then have the lower price, but of course must take whatever promo is effective on that date. Or you booked with pick one, and now there is pick two available, so you cancel and rebook, again before final payment, and go with the new pricing and new promos. Once past final, because of cancellation penalties, it is no longer possible to do a cancel rebook. But you CAN upsell yourself into a higher category after final payment and retain your current promo and booking number. Nothing changes on the booking except your cabin number and the total cruise fare.