Just another Fascination review from San Juan

kelib

When looking at this itinerary I was attracted to so many of the ports that I used to visit on my old Windjammer Barefoot Cruising days. Many of these ports still did not have the huge piers or a Diamond international at every port.

I used to say I "technically" had been to both Puerto Rico and Barbados when actually I never left either airport, was just there for connections.

I find traveling as a single it can be much easier to use the ships excursions than trying to go it alone. In addition I just did not know what I wanted to do, I am not a big planner but prefer to see how I feel when I get up on any given day. Some of my best times has been staying on an almost empty ship relaxing. I surprised myself on this cruise.

St. Thomas. A little background for me, I have been here in some way or other about 8 times from an overnight stay on the way to the BVI's , to week long land and sailing vacations. Through the years I became friends with a couple who have a 62' sail boat on the other side of Water Island. Just think of waking up and seeing the Eurodamn or the Oasis sailing a few hundred feet past your porthole. My every intention was to meet up with them in St. Thomas and we were going to go running around on their little dingy the Sunshine. Business called though and they got a full week charter for the same week, do big let down for both of us. I really thought that I would stay on ship or just run over to Mojos for a drink or 2,

For dome reason around 9:00am I decided to do and see if the trip to Megan's a Bay was available and it was.. Do plans for the day.

Advice to all who use the Carnival Shore Excursion. Prior to the cruise, you had a chance to look at all the excursion possibilities . In addition they bring you books to your cabin, you can grab one at the desk. Grabbing a book and opening it the very first time AT the excursion desk and then proceeding to ask Luis about every excursion for the entire week is just not great for the ten people now standing behind you. Please take time in your cabin, at breakfast or any other place to at least start looking at excursions and have an idea what you want to do. woukd make life a whole lot easier for the rest of us ( another rant off)

Another thing that we had and I think those leaving soon will have is that everyday we were the only cruise ship in port. So many places like Megan's a Bay that would normally be crowded were not. Took one of the open air jitneys over to Megan's Bay and beach and water were beautiful. It had been about 10 years since I have actually been on Megan's Bay and when I got there I remembered they have a bar/ snack bar and even better a waitress walking around taking orders.

Now in theVirgin a islands there are 2 signature drinks. The more well known Pinkiller and the lesser known but scrumptious Bushwacker. The Bushwacker is kind of in the mudslide family sans chocolate syrup. If made properly it will have no or little ice cream/piña colada mix. My bud from there always said that a virgin Bushwacker was just a cup of ice. I proceeded to order one with a rum shot on top. ( she admitted they use a little but of piña colada mix, when I asked that she knew it was not my first time on island)

So my happiness of the day was hanging in the water with drink in hand, sun on my back enjoying life. I also met 2 delightful women from Mexico City who I ran into a few times on the ship. Regret that I did not spend more time with them. My second drink had a second straw do I could share with my new freind from Mexico City and she agreed that it was yummy.

Megan's Bay is just a relaxing chilling excursion.

When looking at Barbados I was really torn on what I really wanted to do. I almost booked the caves, but to be honest I am all about the beach. The excursion offered a Beach Hop that was reasonable and the only thing I booked in advance. Once on the ship I found that they also had a tour leaving at 12:30 instead of the 8:30 listed prior to sailing. I was easily able to change to the later time.

Spent the morning at Serenity. This is the main port of Barbados, and not so serene having a container ship unloading right in front of you.

I guess I also lied about being the only cruise shop in port... The Free Winds was docked there... 3rd time I have seen it and have never seen a person off of her yet. If you do not what Free Winds is, google it.

They advertise this beach hop as family fun... Maybe when more kids come on the ships it may be more "family fun", for us it was much more fun for adults .

You travel to the beaches in open air jitneys. The whole idea is that when a horn honks at us we are all supposed to yell " hey" . You end up yelling that a lot. It also becomes the calling card the rest of the week for every time you see one of your fellow jitney mates... Crosses the language barrier.

When they describe the trip they comment on then saving juice. This is one of the excursions where they water down the punch/pineapple juice with Mt. Gay rum.. A big butt bottle of it. We went to one beach which I am sorry to say I cannot remember the name of. You can get a lounger there for about $5 and you are there for about 90 minutes. The beach is beautiful, but the surf wad a little bit rough, so no swimming for me.

You then go to another beach for a short time ( this is down the way from the Boatyard and very close to the ship )

There is a small tour of dome sugar mill there if you want to take it. No chairs or any other facility, but there are rocks that are easy to put a towel on and sit on. By the way... They are still seeing the watered down punch...I think they may have also had beer.

Trying to get through this since I know what my work week is like.

Next is St Lucia. 2 times on this trip I have woken up with almost a sixth sense. On Sunday I awoke at my hotel shortly after 6am to see the Fascination coming around the corner into port. On Thursday morning I woke up exactly at 6:15 got up to look out my starboard window to see the Pitons in the early morning light.

Been to the island about 3-4 times and can honestly say that some of the vey best tours I have ever taken were on this island. They were private tours set up by a freind and in each case many friends were with me to enjoy. My only helicopter ride was also on this island from the international airport to Castries.

I knew I wanted to do something with the Pitons, but a bus tour was just not appealing .

I took the catamaran trip to the Pitons as a different way to approach this iconic site of the Caribbean.

This was the only tour where you had to meet in the Palace theater .. Not sure if it is a St. Lucia thing or not. I was not prepared that they expected us to walk from deck 8 down to deck 3. With do many tours trying to leave the same time out of the same edit, it was a little bit crazy trying to stay with your group.

This was a power catamaran which had a nice wide space which comes in handy as the line dances start up on the way back.

We sailed down the coast going into a few bays like Marigot which only has water access. Further down the coast time for a swim in the clear water .

Some people expressed concern that the water was not that blue they think the entire Caribbean should be. St. Lucia is a volcanic island and has a darker sand that will make the water appear a more greener color, but it was still clear enough to see your toes.

After that juice as advertised was served. Oh well, they just watered down the punch with rum again, I will have to suffer. They also had sandwiches available and beer for a small cost ( the local Piton Beer of course)

When we first started the punch a few of us commented on how lame it was. Remember that comment a little later on.😵

We arrive at the spectacular Pitons. The sign of me getting old, everyone was so busy trying to get that perfect shot of them with the Pitons, then the novelty shots where you look like you are holding the pitons. No one just stopped for a few minutes to just look at the beauty of this natural wonder.

Everyone has taken their pictures, time to head back. On the bow talking to passengers who I never see again , and some other passenger was just bringing punch up front. Somehow as we are about to get off I notice I have 5 empty punch cups in my hand and seem to remember a few before the Pitons. That punch did not see too lame to me now. Missed all the dancing on the boat boat , but I really appreciated the Soca music that they played.

Just saying, having that much punch and foolishly not taking advantage of any facilities in 5 hours, when you get on your deck at cabin 57 and you are cabin 229, lets just say it seemed like the longest hallway ever.

Serious, if you have never been to St. Lucia before, try to make it a point to see the Pitons. There is a nice beach at Reduit Beach and Pidgeon Island, but the pitons have always taken my breath away, and bucket list is staying at the small resort between the two.

Originally I thought that this was the island I wouldn't do anything on. When I first came to this island there was no cruise ship pier, we tendered in. Loved walking through the town of Basseterre and planned to do that again. That morning I decided what the heck and signed up for the 4x4 Safari leaving in the afternoon.

First a walk through town. Last time I was here around 2007 they had just competed the entrance to the building st the beginning if the pier.

One of my favorite stores was always in the center of town. They always had some beautiful things from the Batik place on the island along with so many different and usual apparel and gift items. I guess I should have realized that they could not survive all the competition with all the shops at the port, and then most of the tours bypassing the center of town. Locals confirmed that they shut down and now only have their store on the other die if the island. I did find one nice shirt st the St. Kitts yacht store . I get aggravated that all the islands and Central America think an Xl is a size 14.

Back to the ship... There is a guy with a golf cart that will charge you a dollar to take you up to the forward ramp. The ship was backed in so if you had an aft room like me it is walking the ship twice to get to your room. The dollar was so worth it.

Meet up for the 4x4 tour was around 12:30. Some of my fellow catamaran travelers from the day before were also on this trip.

TIP.. IF YOU ARE FLUFFY LIKE ME, MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM YOU NEED A FRONT SEAT. AFTER THE FIRST ROW AND A HALF, THE SEATS ARE VERY TIGHT TOGETHER. When I saw a Size 10 having to turn sideways to squeeze through, then I knew my size 18 butt was in trouble. Truly not one of my most graceful moments 😓

They take you on a tour of the island up to some of the highest points of the island all along telling you the history, about plant life and how they are used for medicinal purposes, and wildlife including monkeys. They stop at the house which is the highest residence on the island... And bring out refreshments again. Oh darn,,, they are watering down the punch again 😉

You then go over to the Atlantic side of the island and then along the narrow strip where you can see bothe the Atlsntic and the Caribbean at the same time.

Hour long beach break at a beach club( no chairs or drinks included) then back to the ship. You really hot to see a great side of the island, but beware, some of the roads are not for the faint of heart.

My last trip here I did do the scenic train ride. It was besutiful, you have local girls singing for you and they did serve some of that watered down stuff. You will see the Atlantic side of the island which is far more rugged. I eventually found it a little boring for me, but it is a calm ride and would be great for someone who cannot handle a more adventure excursion and for the most part shielded from the sun.

Last port. Have no planned excursion. Was either going to take water taxi to town or go to Maho for the planes. Table mates wanted to also go to Maho so planes here I come.

Again, other island been to quite a bit, including an 8 day stay on Orient Beach ( and no, not the clothing optional resort) other than that week I always stayed in Phillipsburg a day before or after my Windjammer trip, and somehow never got to Maho.

My friends were planning on swimming, I did not so I found the perfect location at the Sunset Beach bar right at the rails. They Aldo have some longe chairs you can rent at the beach if available. The group there was a combo of locals , people from the ship, or people who dro their luggage off at the airport and run over to get their last drink before leaving.

When you get there, there is a surfboard with all the flight arrival and departure times. Air France arrived at 2:00 pm so must stay till then. Sadly could not stay to see it taking off. Had drinks and lunch ( and a lot of sun) for a few hours.. Bucket list item checked.

If by chance you do not know what I am referring to check YouTube , SXM flights .

I know some other people who took some wonderful turd of the island , if you get the chance go over to the French Side. The contrast between the countries is amazing. Forgot about how much I like this island and may start looking at a land vacation there

Enough for now, will try to squeeze in final thoughts later... Which speaking of squeeze will cover embarkation.

Thanks OP for your review and for the heads-up about the "watering down" of the fruit juices. DH and I don't drink. Did any of the tour operators hold out some of the juices and keep them virgin? I'm assuming (although I know what happens when we 'assume') that they could hold some out upon request, otherwise we'd just bring bottled water from the ship.

Booked this same cruise for February and I am so excited! It will be our 10 year anniversary and we thought this would be a great itinerary! Thank you for the review! I love hearing about the ship, food, ports etc!

Someone may have already asked but I didn't notice... Is do you know if there are hair dryers in the ocean view cabins? The website listed the following:

Hair Dryers

A 1250-watt hair dryer is provided in all staterooms and suites (either in the bathroom or on the desk/vanity) on the following ships: Carnival Breeze, Carnival Conquest, Carnival Dream, Carnival Freedom, Carnival Glory, Carnival Legend, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Magic, Carnival Miracle, Carnival Pride, Carnival Spirit, Carnival Splendor, Carnival Sunshine, Carnival Triumph, Carnival Victory, Carnival Valor and Carnival Vista.

On the following ships, a 1250-watt hair dryer is provided in the Grand Suites and Extended Balcony Suites: Carnival Ecstasy, Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Fascination, Carnival Imagination and Carnival Inspiration.

:confused:

Thanks for taking time to write a review. Got this cruise booked for my honeymoon in 2017, although we will be get on in Barbados. The info on your excursions is appreciated, we're currently looking at what we fancy doing now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi...I'll be doing this trip in September and also traveling as a single!!! I am very curious about the "single Supplement" you mentioned...how does one get it and find out about this stuff. As I want to keep cruising after my first trip...I am sure!

great review btw..

Thank you for your review. I am doing this cruise in August with my family.

I am wondering if you know if the Dr. Seuss breakfast is on the only sea day. I know you traveled solo and you might not know. I have read other reviews of other ships with more than one sea day, so I'm curious if all the sea day activities are crammed into the one lone sea day or how these are handled.

Thanks.