Houston Airport to Galveston Cruise Terminal: How?

bostom

How best, oh experts, to do this?

The prices for rental cars at IAH seem pretty high, both because of taxes and not keeping the car over a Saturday night as that's when GALAXY sails and we plan to arrive in Houston (to see NASA, etc.) on Wednesday night. By high I mean $200 for a compact for three days, and that's returning it to Bush and then paying separately for Celebrity transfers as we are using FF award tickets for the flights. And apart from the inconvenience, that's another $80.

Only Hertz, that I can find, does one-way rentals and then at even higher prices; more like $300 for three days when the drop-off charge is included. I read somewhere here ("search" here is, as ever, so slow it times out before offering any results) that Enterprise will do one-way rentals but they say - on their website - that they don't do 'em. If there was no drop charge, their rate would be back to the $200 or so for three days.

So, any ideas? Anybody have experience with a transfer van service, limo company, or has just taken a cab and if so, what did it cost? In ther end we'll need something like this as our return flight is from Hobby, and the X transfers only go to IAH. But at least leaving the pier you can arrange a one-way rental.

How best, oh experts, to do this?

The prices for rental cars at IAH seem pretty high, both because of taxes and not keeping the car over a Saturday night as that's when GALAXY sails and we plan to arrive in Houston (to see NASA, etc.) on Wednesday night. By high I mean $200 for a compact for three days, and that's returning it to Bush and then paying separately for Celebrity transfers as we are using FF award tickets for the flights. And apart from the inconvenience, that's another $80.

Only Hertz, that I can find, does one-way rentals and then at even higher prices; more like $300 for three days when the drop-off charge is included. I read somewhere here ("search" here is, as ever, so slow it times out before offering any results) that Enterprise will do one-way rentals but they say - on their website - that they don't do 'em. If there was no drop charge, their rate would be back to the $200 or so for three days.

So, any ideas? Anybody have experience with a transfer van service, limo company, or has just taken a cab and if so, what did it cost? In ther end we'll need something like this as our return flight is from Hobby, and the X transfers only go to IAH. But at least leaving the pier you can arrange a one-way rental.

We've got a FAR better deal from Enterprise on a mini-van, one way rental, IAH to Galveston, returned at 5900 Broadway. Pick up Friday, drop off Sunday, $145 and $40 drop charge (the latter payable in Galveston). If you're looking for something smaller, the rates are a lot lower, too! Better check by PHONE with Enterprise to see if they don't have a few one-ways left for your dates. You can't book these on the web. You have to call (the website lies!).

Your other option is to use local island transport, and consider something like http://www.galvestonlimousineservice.com. That will run you $35 one way per person. That's what sold us on the rental as it provides us the ability to come and go as we please on the island.

Enterprise is much cheaper and close to the piers. You call the Enterprise office at the airport to set it up. It is only available directly from the office that you pick the car up at. I never did get charged the drop off fee this past July. Having a car made it very easy to tour the Johnson Space Center before my cruise.

Enterprise is much cheaper and close to the piers. You call the Enterprise office at the airport to set it up. It is only available directly from the office that you pick the car up at. I never did get charged the drop off fee this past July. Having a car made it very easy to tour the Johnson Space Center before my cruise.
I made our reservation directly with the national (and toll free) 1-800-RENT-A-CAR number with Enterprise, not the office in IAH.

Here's hoping I get lucky with the drop fee as well. At present, I have the contract for just the 3 day rental out of IAH showing a drop at the Galveston office, but no drop fee added on this particular contract. On the phone, they said that the $40 would be collected at the Galveston office, but as you say...

For those not needing anything as large as we will for our crowd, a "standard" or "mid-size" or whatever they call it was going for a hair less than $30 a day, and that price includes all taxes, airport charges, etc.!!!

• 1 month later...

We took the Galaxy's Nov. 24 Panama Canal cruise. We chose Z-Limousine, 832-607-8495. For three people, the cost each way from the G. Bush airport was $100 (plus we gave a $10 tip). The one-way charge of $110 was about $10 less each way than the ship's buses would have cost for the three of us, and was far more pleasant: a plush Town Car driven by a friendly and knowledgeable driver. The limousine was waiting for us both when we arrived at the Bush airport, and also when we returned from the cruise. This was far superior to the other services such as Galveston Limo, which charged about the same amount but would have required us to wait for a van or bus with a scheduled departure: this would have caused us to miss the boat!:)

Archived