What does "overbooked" mean?

argosy

I have friends that are waitlisted as #2 on a Coral Princess cruise. However, the TA told them that it is not looking good, because Princess has already 'overbooked' the ship. She said that issue has to be resolved first, before they can go to the waitlist. What in the world does this mean? How can a ship be overbooked? It's not like they can take the next ship out on the same day.

What it means is someone at Princess is saying, "Oops!" and it's going to cost some money to shift people to other cruises. Unless there are a lot of cancellations, anyone on the waitlist might be advised to look for alternatives.

Completed:

Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

Coming up:

Tahitian Princess Oct 14/04

Caribbean Princess redux 6/25/05

AND....if we have cabin #'s booked already for the same cruise as our waitlisted friends...does that mean we are 'guaranteed?' Or could we be asked to 'shift' to another cruise?

Argosy,

You could be asked but not forced to move. Princess will keep upping the offer untill someone volunteers to move.

Recently a family posted of being moved from two out side cabins to a quad inside and recieving a $2600 credit for doing so. There are a LOT of people who would jump at a similar offer.

Princess will make room for all people booked. The reasons for overbooking are not fully explained but it is clear it has to do with the number of reservations, cabin number and category guarentee alike, they anticipate a certain number of cancellations, lets say 20 so they overfill by 20, then when only 16 actually cancel they scramble for the remaining 4 cabins. OR... reservations come in from all over the system and just as the left hand tell the system that the ship is booked the right hand books three last minute cabins. Again, they are assuming that the normal number of cancellations occur and it will self correct.

So you could be asked, your chances of being asked aren't that good, and you would have a say in it if you were because it would be asking not telling.

Life is at it's best when your address floats

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

We had booked the Zandaam and at the last minute our travel agent called and told us it was overbooked and offered us another ship at 75% off, we took it and got the Veendam, they paid 100.00 each person (12) for airfare to Anchorage, the 65.00 transfers and gave us back 750.00 per person, it was great! We ended up getting a better cruise and saved money, too.

Sue

Mardi Gras '77 Horizon '91

Regent Sea '93 Sensation '94

Norway '95 Seaward '96

Granduer '97 Veendam '98

Nor. Sea '99 Imagination 2000 Century 2000 Veendam '01

Nor. Sea '02 Zuiderdam '03 Caribbean Princess '04

the 5/21 is overbooked, so the TA says.

I wouldn't mind being offered a different date with cruise credit and/or a discount, but we are going with a group of friends who wouldn't be able to change dates...so that option is not viable for us this time.

If you have a little flexibility and there is another cruise close to the one you're currently booked on, have your TA call the cruise lines and see what they'd offer if you move to another cruise (as long as you and your friends can be booked together.) Depending on what category you have booked, they might be willing to work out a deal and you and your friends would get to sail together. Couldnt hurt to ask if you have the time to work with.

I just used my airline "bump" ticket to get to my last cruise. Missed it again this time by 1 person icon_frown.gif )

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Ryndam Pacific Coastal May 3

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;17;21;30;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Dawn Princess Alaska May 17

Just called my TA this morning to see about getting an outside since they werent available when I booked and ---- they asked me if my dates were flexible and if I could move since they were overbooked!!!!!!!!!!! Arrrgh, I feel sick now and wish I hadnt called, because I would do it in a heartbeat, but just managed this week to get the 4th person in our group booked on airfare from Ireland. If it were just two of us and I knew a while ago when I could still change vacation I would have done it....... icon_frown.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Ryndam Pacific Coastal May 3

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;17;21;30;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Dawn Princess Alaska May 17

That's a bummer tad. You'll still enjoy the cruise you have though! icon_wink.gif

There are a lot more folks traveling this year methinks. I see a lot less upgrades, a lot more full ships, and way more overbooked "bump" offers. I think its something we should all keep in mind re: flexibility of travel arrangements if at all possible.

PS.. when they need to create space, they start with moving groups, as its just one call they have to make instead of many.

Cheers!

Suzy

NEXT --> Monarch family weekend 10/15/04 & Grand Galveston 12/11/04

Diamond Princess icon_biggrin.gif 5/1/04

Star Princess icon_biggrin.gif 10/18/03 -- Wind Star Honeymoon icon_biggrin.gif 11/14/03

Star Princess Wedding icon_biggrin.gif 9/24/03 -- Mercury icon_biggrin.gif 10/5/03

Vision of the Seas icon_smile.gif 10/28/02 -- Amsterdam icon_smile.gif 4/22/03

Sun Princess icon_biggrin.gif 5/10/02 -- Star Princess icon_biggrin.gif 6/15/02

Carnival Holiday icon_frown.gif 9/8/00

hi In most cases overbooked means good. We were overbooked on an alaska cruise on holland america line and we ended up getting to go on a wonderful week long cruise for 275 dollars a person.

cant wait for caribean princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;6;26;4;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived