Gaspe excursion tours

HRPro

We will be stopping at Gaspe, Quebec for the first time on our upcoming New England-Canada cruise. It is a tender port and with the uncertainty of tendering, we're thinking of taking a ship's tour although we much prefer private tours. I have read Tom's port guide, which was very helpful, but I'd like to hear from cruisers who have actually visited this port. The reviews are very mixed about visiting Perce especially if you don't take the boat trip out to St. Bonadventure Island. We'll be visit the end of September, and I'm thinking the weather will likely be chilly and the seas could be rough. One of the ship's tours is Perce on your own, which basically means they provide transportation and drop you off for three hours. Is there enough to do in Perce for three hours if we don't take the boat tour out to the Rock? Should we take a chance that seas will be calm and weather good and book the boat tour? or Should we go in the opposite direction to Forillon National Park? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've nailed down our excursions for all the other ports, but feel I need more information before booking an excursion or a private tour in Gaspe.

We are also on a Canada-New England cruise in September that stops at Gaspe. I was happy to see your post since there isn't much input on this port. Since this will be our first cruise we want to experience both ship excursions and exploring on our own. We are booked on a ship excursion to Perce with a boat tour to Bonaventure Island. It sounds interesting and Gaspe seemed like a good port to try out the ship excursion. Look forward to hearing other perspectives. It's all new to us!

During my trip to Gaspe, I had booked a ship-sponsored whale watching tour, but the seas were too rough and no whales were to be found. We started out but then the whale watching boat crew decided against going further out, so we cruised around Bonaventure Island, and then went for an unscheduled trip to Perce. We had lunch at a lovely little spot, but there were not enough tables for the entire bus, so we got our food to go and took it back to the bus. It was lovely, but the weather was misty rain, with foggy skies and heavy winds.

I really enjoyed Gaspe. But I think it's important to note that the ship-sponsored tour transportation was on school buses, not the tour buses found in other ports. And, I found it to be very French, more so than other areas of Quebec -- English was not really spoken, so it helps to have a working knowledge of French.

• 1 month later...

We are taking the Aug 24 th cruise that stops in Gaspe. After much consideration and the fact that I couldn't find a private tour to the Forillon Park, we are taking the ships tour Best of Gaspe and Forillon Park. There were no reviews so I called the excursion desk. They told me that there is a 40 min ride to the Park and four stops in the park including he Cliffs and lighthouse. Lunch at the Cultural center is included.

• 2 weeks later...
We are taking the Aug 24 th cruise that stops in Gaspe. After much consideration and the fact that I couldn't find a private tour to the Forillon Park, we are taking the ships tour Best of Gaspe and Forillon Park. There were no reviews so I called the excursion desk. They told me that there is a 40 min ride to the Park and four stops in the park including he Cliffs and lighthouse. Lunch at the Cultural center is included.

Please report back after your cruise. Would love to hear about your excursion. We also had no luck finding private tours, so are currently booked in a ship's tour in September.

Biker@sea, can you tell me what rental is close to the dock? I have been searching for a rental car and everything i see is at the airport. Also, how long ago were you there? I have hear that Budget used to be at the dock but it closed.