Does this really happen in Montego Bay?

b8tzm

:mad: Does this really happen in Montego Bay and/or anywhere in Western Carribean???

"On our way back to the ship our bus stopped downtown to allow for a little shopping, but I thought everything was WAY overpriced, and the locals are ruthless when it comes to trying to sell you “illegal substances”. One gentleman on our bus actually had a guy shove a bag of marijuana into his pocket and then demand $20.00. Watch yourself if this happens. The police are everywhere and aren’t above putting you in jail for this, whether or not YOU solicited the drugs. YOU are the tourist, and YOU have the credit card that will provide “bail” money. All in all, I bought nothing in Jamaica to take home. I don’t like being taken advantage of."

In July as our family walked to the water fairy from Paradise Island, my 19 year old was approached by a local and asked if he would like to buy some "good stuff". :eek: I understand that this is common. When he said, "No," he was left alone.

Lots of hawking of other stuff occurs on that beach. It is sad that so many young children have to sell things. They should be in school!

Our experiences in Jamaica were nothing close to that!!! We had a good time, stayed with a professional tour company the whole time...and were never bothered or approached by anyone....but we too have heard of this often...and I'm sure things like that could and do occur in Jamaica...just saying it didn't happen to us in MoBay!

I was approached twice about these sort of things...in the same day...in the middle of the afternoon...in the middle of a crowded area in Central Park, NY, NY!

I read on cnn.com that there is a scam going on there too. They'll plant drugs on your then play the informant and tell a cop who will arrest you. The "informant" who also "planted" gets a reward.

Terrible, isn't it?

Jamaica is one of our favorite spots to do a land based vacation and I love the people there! We are always approached by at least 5 different folks at the airport to purchase, but I've also heard that alot of them are "set ups" for the local police. We have never purchased the stuff there cuz it's just not worth the possibility of getting thrown in jail. The locals wouldn't be pushing it so much if we weren't buying it, so I'm guessing lots of folks do.

When people say that this or that nation is a pit or the people are animals I am sad. I am not asking anyone to go there. I think it is fine to be a critic. Please, however, ask if you can say the same things without hurting somebody's feelings.

I Hear if you stay at a land based resort....they are wonderful.....but you have to be very carefull about where you venture..

On our cruises.......stops in both Montego Bay and Ocho Rios, I've seen a knife fight.....been approached several times offering drugs or girls...And the pushy pushy people selling stuff.......Not really a pleasant place....for someplace with such natural beauty.......

We had friends experience the same situation several years ago but had no problems the last time we were there. We took a cab to the beach & them walked a block or two to Margaritaville. Caught a water taxi back to the ship for our group for just a couple of dollars more than a cab. Plus we didn't have to deal with cab drivers & were let off close to where the ship was docked.

Just have to remember to be aware of your surroundings in Jamaica or any port in a foreign country.

We felt that Isla Margarita was the same way! We were also warned about South America, Mexico and Jamaica. A local jeweler told us about the drug scams going on. First time this was even mentioned to us.

But apparently, the locals can make big bucks off of planting stuff on tourists and turning them in.

When you go to the beaches in Isla Margarita, there are tons of people pushing stuff onto you. Doesn't matter if you tell them no 10 times or not. One girl on our excursion, stopped to look at a merchants wares and before ya knew it she had about 10 of them all around her cramming things in her face and yelling at her. We also heard of some people on a tour being harassed by the locals to give them money. They went to some historic house on the island and apparently the guide had a local boy say somethings about the house and afterwards he held out his hand and went around to everyone and wouldnt leave them be until he got money. The woman that told us this said all they had was a 20 and wanted some change back but the little boy wanted the whole 20.

I just felt like everywhere i went all the locals saw was a big fat crisp bill walkin around, LOL.

IF we ever go back to that island, we're gonna try to do an excursion that doesn't take us into the cities like the excursion we did.

The island is beautiful though and would recommend going there at least once.

I was never bothered when in Jamacia (Ocho Rios) with anyone wanting to sell me drugs (I mean, after all, who who try to sell drugs to a middle aged lady with a camera around her neck . . . :p ). However, one couple I met on board said that their twenty year old son was approached by a rather insistant street person who tried to sell him something not legal. I loved what he did . . . he told the street person that he would love to buy something but would have to check with a policeman first to be sure he wasn't being overcharged . . . :D

(I mean, after all, who who try to sell drugs to a middle aged lady with a camera around her neck . . . :p ).

You laugh...My middle aged mom (late 50's at the time) was offered drugs in Montego Bay...We had gone on a Carnival excursion (shopping and sightseeing or something of that nature) and she was standing beside the tour bus while tourists went into a store. As I came out of the store I see a local standing by her and hear her saying "I don't smoke anything without a filter on it," and she was kind of laughing because it was an awkward situation...Then the guy says "No worries, lady, I am the manufacturer and I will make you some with the filter if you like." :eek: We got giggles from that for some time afterward!

Archived