sick in Mexico?

Sinkevich

Going to the Mex. Riviera on Mercury Nov. 11th. Has anyone gotten sick from eating there? Some of our friends say to come back to the ship at every port to eat, but I find that would be limiting the time spent on our excursions. Any feedback would be helpful. :confused:

We've eaten at some GREAT places in several cities in Mexico & have NEVER gotten sick! Cancun, Cozumel, Acapulco, Mazatlan, Cabo, PV & Ixtapa. In more than one of these cities, we have spent more than a week on land--safe food! :D

Hi Sinkevich: We'll be on the same cruise. Have travelled extensively in Mexico and IMHO I would still be careful regarding water and food. Unfortunately, the "TJ Trot" or "Montezuma's Revenge" is not a thing of the past. Your excursion guides will let you know which eating places are okay. The ship also makes note of okay restaurants, etc. Use good judgement, common sense and you'll be fine. Enjoy!

Hi Sinkevich: We'll be on the same cruise. Have travelled extensively in Mexico and IMHO I would still be careful regarding water and food. Unfortunately, the "TJ Trot" or "Montezuma's Revenge" is not a thing of the past. Your excursion guides will let you know which eating places are okay. The ship also makes note of okay restaurants, etc. Use good judgement, common sense and you'll be fine. Enjoy!

Have been to many ports in Mexico over the past 3 years and have only had problems eating or drinking at local restaurants once --- and that was probably due to the number of margarittas we consumed in the hot sun during a ship sponsored excursion to a beach. Hot beach, flowing alcohol and fun, fun, fun, don't always mix with our bodies sometimes.

Our motto has become: Don't eat from street vendor carts; check out the restaurant you're about to eat at and make sure they use purified water to wash their vegetables. And when the food is served and it tastes hotter than you think your digestive tract can track - don't eat more than you think your system can handle.

Enjoy Mexico, just use some good judgement for what you think your own body can handle.

Dianne

Hi Sinkevich,

The water in Mexico is a possible source of gastric problems, so that is the area to be cautious. It is best to drink bottled water, sodas and beer that have sealed caps. Ice is probably made from tap water, and is usually suspect. Most of the better restaurants that cater to tourists will be safe for you to dine and imbibe. You don't want to be paranoid, but a little caution could save you from an uncomfortable episode. For some good tips you should ask the person giving the port briefing to give you some guidance for the port you are visiting.

petert

We have cruised to Mexico several times and always ate in port. NEVER got sick Of course we make sure we don't drink anything but bottled water and no ice unless it is in a strong Margarita :) I think it is the Margaritas that help kill the germs.

Eat only cooked food. I made the mistake one time of having a salad, which of course had been washed in the local water. I agree that you should drink only bottled water, and no ice!

Garry

Eat only cooked food. I made the mistake one time of having a salad, which of course had been washed in the local water. I agree that you should drink only bottled water, and no ice!

Garry

Garry

Garry

Garry

Yes, I agree!!!

Garry

Yep, I am still in agreement with you.:D

Garry

Hi Sinkevich,

The water in Mexico is a possible source of gastric problems, so that is the area to be cautious. It is best to drink bottled water, sodas and beer that have sealed caps. Ice is probably made from tap water, and is usually suspect.

In Cozumel it is entirely safe to drink the water & ice at the reputable restaurants. They all use bottled water for serving and ice is made from the same filtered water. I have stayed in Coz a number of times, drinking non-bottled water at the restaurants, with no problems at all. I can't say how it is on the mainland ... however, if you have a sensitive stomach to begin with, a good suggestion I've heard is to take Pepto twice a day for a week before you leave. It's supposed to help coat your stomach ........

Archived