When to get travel insurance

simatravel

I am not sure if this was covered already in the earlier posts and it was please tell me.

Should you get a trip isurance? Usually we do get one, but the good thing is that we never had to use it. So the question is :

IS IT WORTH IT?

Thank you for your respose.

I travel with my family on cruises. My kids (3) are under 16 and are free on Travelex insurance.

The emergency medical coverage is the only real reason I buy this. If you never have to use it great. (just like bringin an umbrella and istead it's sunny)

If you do need it, you will be thrilled to have it, especially depending on what third world country you are in or if you need medical ecvacuation. Very pricey problems to have without insurance.

I am not sure if this was covered already in the earlier posts and it was please tell me.

Should you get a trip isurance? Usually we do get one, but the good thing is that we never had to use it. So the question is :

IS IT WORTH IT?

Thank you for your respose.

Everyone's actual risk of loss and their risk tolerance is different so answers to this question will range from "never" to "always".

How much would you lose if you have to cancel at the last minute? Would losing that amount be a disaster or an annoyance?

If you do want to insure your trip costs what risks do you have? Are there pre-existing medical conditions for anyone in the traveling party? Or for non-traveling family members? Is your risk even coverable under a travel insurance plan -- something like work-related situations?

What's your present status as far as medical insurance. Will your regular medical insurance plan pay the bills if you need medical attantion on the ship or in one of the ports of call?

If you need to be flown off the ship will your medical insurance cover that expense? If not, what about one of your credit cards? American Express often bundles that benefit into their credit cards as do many others.

Those are the largest risks that most cruisers have -- cancellation/interruption, medical, and medical evacustion. Everything else is comparitively minor. Yes, it's nice to have baggage delay coverage but having to buy a replacement toothbrush and pair of socks won't break the bank.

Concentrate on those three main risks, decide whether or not you need any additional coverage over and above what you may already have in place, and go from there.

On a very serious note, DO NOT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!

You will be out at sea, never mind possibly in another country and you never know what could happen. A helicopter flight is mighty expensive if you are injured or take ill to get you to a medical facility and most medical insurance policies do not cover the 20-30 thousand dollar cost.

Most other countries do not recognize your blue cross or kaiser etc.. and may request funds up front for medical care if you do not have travel insurance to cover it.

I speak from experience and if you need a gorey tale, I can show you the 2 foot long-plus scars on my arm from breaking both bones, compound fractures, in Cancun (first 3 hrs of the trip) and spending a week in a Mexican hospital. Very scary indeed and very lucky to still have an arm. I may also add, in Mexico and other "no Fault" countries, you can not even sue for negligence if you are injured.... Long story....Lots of money and worry... Anyway...I digress.

It is a minimal cost for a great deal of peace of mind. If nothing else, get medical and evacuation coverage. Ok. I'll step down off of my soapbox now...carefully, ha ha ha.

Archived