Help Me with Shore Excursions, Please?!!

CarnyMan

We want to go to the turtle farm and butterfly farm in Cayman Island. I want to avoid going through the cruise line for the excursion to save money. I understand that admission to the turtle farm is just $6.00pp. Can I get a taxi to just take me to the turtle farm and butterfly farm and, if so, how much does a taxi cost for this trip? Are there plenty of taxis when you just get off the ship? Any info is greatly appreciated.

We seldom use ships' tours, usually doing better on our own. We rented a car the last time we were on Grand Cayman; but it was not a great experience, with a lot of delay in getting hold of the rental car company; and then paying a lot for mandatory insurance. Everyone in Grand Cayman cheerfully gives you directions; which are invariably wrong! So if you can pin down the cab driver on the price, making sure whether the charge it is for the ride or by the person; you will probably be better off. It is not a very big island. We went to the Queen Elizabeth II Botanical Garden which was very nice. If you have not done the Stingray City trip, it is rather special. There are several of these tours you can arrange on the internet for less than the ship's tour. Be sure to get the correct address of where to meet your tour if you do it this way. Grand Cayman is a tender port and with the likelihood of two to four cruise ships landing every day, things can get hectic on the pier.

Archived