Celebrity Summit vs Caribbean Princess

Notquite50

Thank you everyone for you comments. I have taken them all down and can't wait to share them with my friend. We sail in about 14 weeks so the countdown in officially on but I hate to get overly excited because as I wish for the days to pass quickly - it also means summer break passes quickly and before you know it we will be back to work and cooler weather will be settling in. We both agreed the REAL count starts on the 1st day of school. (Please don't get me wrong - I still have 1 month to go - and I'm missing my students so much I'm ready to go back tomorrow) - what's that saying Distance makes the heart go fonder..

Our two most recent cruises have been on the Star Princess and Celebrity Infinity (sister ship to the Summit), both this year. The following is our experience and opinions. Other cruisers may have a different experience.

Here are some of our questions/concerns:

Ship condition - From what I have read on these boards, the CB may need some TLC. I fully understand it's ship and it's not brand new, but I want to make sure there are no glaring issues - such as broken bathrooms.

The Infinity was in better condition than the Star, but the Infinity has just come out of drydock. The decor of both ships was completely different, the Star decor was bland and unexciting while the Infinity was more modern with lively art that some might call "too much."

Advantage Celebrity

Adult only pool - Let's face it - we are leaving our own children home for a reason and we are both teachers so the idea of an adult only only pool is very appealing. I LOVED the Adult only pool on the Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas.

There was no adults only pool on the Star, or if there was, the kids were using it. The adults only pool on Infinity is wonderful and no children allowed, but it is a semi-indoor pool which some may object to.

Advantage Celebrity

Smoking: Neither of us are smokers and I have severe asthma so smoke is an issue for me. Just want to make sure that if we are not in the smoking areas there won't be lingering smells. (no offense to smokers).

Some evidence of smoke smell on the Star. Never even saw a smoker on the Infinity.

Advantage Celebrity

Itinerary - This is a tough one because the days at sea on Princess are appealing because of the down time and the ability to just veg out - but on the other hand the islands for Celebrity are also really appealing because there will be many islands I've never been to and may be great to visit.. So, quite honestly I really don't know what I'm asking of you here or what I want, but please feel free to comment.:confused:

Often times we will stay aboard on a port days, just too many jewelry and souvenirs from China stores in most of the Caribbean port cities for our liking.

Advantage, whatever floats your boat

Entertainment: Again - we are pretty easy to please. If someone is going to sing to me and try to entertain me - I'm pretty sure I will be happy. Can anyone shed light into what else there is - i.e. Bingo.

Production shows on the Star were horrible. No live band and "entertainers" lip syncing to a sound track. Although Celebrity shows are in need of improvement, at least they have a live band with the performers singing live, even though at times a bit off key.

We are addicted to daily trivia on Celebrity. We find more to do on Celebrity and our days aboard are so full, we can't do everything we want to!

Advantage Celebrity (grudgingly because of production shows)

Spa: If we go Summit - we only have 1 sea day so this may not even be an issue.

Big discounts in the Spa on port days on Celebrity. I would presume the same on Princess.

Advantage tossup

Specialty Restaurants vs. Food in the MD.

Food in the MDR is about the same, quite good

Advantage equal

The cost of specialty restaurants on Princess is less, however, if you purchase the specialty restaurant package on Celebrity, cost is about the same. Celebrity has more courses in their specialty restaurants than Princess. Both lines have good specialty restaurants.

Advantage equal

Drink Pkg.- if we book with Celebrity the basic drink pkg. is included. Does anyone know if this will include drinks like Baybreeze, beer, and drinks with little umbrellas. If not - I assume we can upgrade the package.

HUGE Advantage for Celebrity!!!!!!!

Stateroom class

You said veranda on Princess and OV on Celebrity for same price (but you do have the drinks package included which is a $58 per day benefit) - you are going to the Caribbean. There is nothing better than sitting on your open veranda enjoying the scenery.

Advantage......this is a tough call - Princess for the better stateroom but Celebrity for the better value.

Enjoy your well earned trip!

Edited by El Crucero