Captain Cook

Cruise Arizona

Hey guys I just thought I share with you the book I'm reading. It is on the explorers of the Pacific and the Voyages of Captain Cook. Voyages of Discovery by Lynne Withey.

Still pretty early in the book, and it is telling the stories of his predecessors. Wallis and Robertson were on the Dolphin and were the first Westerners to visit Taihiti. If you think we have miscommunications here on this board imagine sailing up on a strange ship and then trying to explain to them that you want to trade nails and beads for fresh supplies and water. Neither group had any clue as to the other's language or customs.

Can't wait to get to the part where Cook gets to Hawaii.

I'm hoping to finish the book before I take the trip to Hawaii, otherwise I'll bring it along.

I don't know that the Captain would consider Hawaii a high point of the voyage since they killed him (OK, on a return voyage). Hey, can I get compensation from the ship owner or maybe Hawaii since James Cook is a great, great, great etc grandparent? How about a free cruise?

I do find it amazing the seamanship and courage that all of the early explorers displayed. Sailing into unknown waters, dealing with the unpredictable weather and currents, unruly crew, inedible provisions. Sort of like Carnival.

Of course they didn't "discover" anything since people were already living there but why quibble.

Archived