Stingray City on our own... not on an excursion?

cruisin_cutie

Is it possible to take a taxi to stingray city and pay an entrance fee to swim with the 'rays, or do you have to be on a tour?

If we can do it on our own, is it worth it? Or would it make more sense 'money-wise' to book a tour. I am worried about not having enough time to see them, and my husband is an excursion-fobe. Neither of us like to be told when we have to leave, or be herded around, but I really want to have the best experience with the stingrays! Any input would be great....:)

You can't take a taxi to Stingray City, it's only accessible by boat. It's a sandbar located about a 15 minute ride in the bay. Unless you charter a boat, you must go through an excursion company. I recommend Nativeway, we've used them twice and would use them again!

correct. it is a sandbar, about 5-10 min ride by taxi to the boat ramp. then, a 5-10 min ride by boat to a sand bar.... there were people holding signs up when I got off the boat asking them to join an excusion. looked like a few bucks more. NOT much less though

Another vote for Native Way. They were very flexible about how long we stayed at each stop. it was up to the customers. There were only 8 people on our boat, so it felt very much like our own private tour.

Definitely a much more personalized experience than the huge ships excursions, which I agree can feel like you're just cattle being herded.

We did the Stingray City with two snorkel stops tour. I think it was at 9:00am and we got back to town around 12:30 or so.

Native Way's boats aren't huge ones like the ships excursions use (big double deckers). Native Way's would hold (I'm guessing) around 15-18 max. There were 3 or 4 other ships in port with us as well.

Many people, especially first timers, worry because the port times in Cayman are usually fairly short, so the cruise lines always tell you to take their tours so you won't "miss the ship". Well, that's really a myth as long as you go with a reputable firm like Native Way. I was a bit worried too, but they were very conscientous about getting us back in plenty of time. They've NEVER left anyone behind. If they ever did, they'd never hear the end of it on these boards! :)

Go for it, you'll have a great time!

On our very first Western Caribbean cruise we booked thru the ship. More expensive than booking on our own which we did next time. In fact we booked tours right there on the dock. Most of the reptuable tours are there anyway but to be safe you can go to the web sites and book directly with them.

We did a half day snorkle and stingray city trip with Captian Marvin's last October. Enjoyed the day immensely! We never felt rushed. There were 10 people on the boat, which a good group - pleasant conversation and people-meeting, but not so many that were were herded anywhere or couldn't get personal attention if needed (important if you are new to snorkling or a bit skiddish of the rays!). The guide and assistant went into the water with us at all 3 stops and were very knowlegable about the marine life and knew where to take us to see fish, coral, and even a VERY COOL green eel (only a bit intimidating :eek: ).

We did not book in advance but rather walked to the storefront in Georgetown from the ship and signed up there.

Their website has the tours and prices they offer as well as a map and picture of their office so it is very easy to find. Walk from the pier is about 10 minutes, if that. Everything was exactly as described on the website.

Highly recommended!

Good luck and I hope you enjoy yourself no matter which company you choose.

http://captainmarvins.com/

I've been reading about the stingray adventure on the carnival web site. I was wondering what the water temp will be down there in mid December. Will Stingray city still be an option?

The water is still warm in December. Have a great time!

My DS and I went scuba diving in Cozumel in January this year. Our guide wore a wetsuit and about froze. However, the water was like bath water to us. The lakes we have in Ohio probably don't get that warm in the summer. I would imagine that Grand Cayman is the same. Stingray City is located in a huge bay which is rather shallow. I would suppose the worse you could expect would be water temps in the high 70's.

Archived