A Day in Barcelona - does my plan make sense?

juliefoxr

I have just booked a fantastic last minute type deal to sail Royal Princess' transatlantic cruise in Oct. 2016, so I only have about 75 days to plan my excursions and other details. I would like some advice on whether my tentative plans make sense. Barcelona is one of the ports I am thrilled to see, and we would be there on Tuesday, Oct. 11th from 7 am to 6 pm. I will be 56, and DH will be 59 by the time we cruise. Due to cancer, and a near fatal car accident, my walking skills have seen better days considering my age, but I am currently working my way back toward the ability to walk 2-3 miles per day if I can by this trip. I used to walk 3 miles per day. Training marathon is already in progress! Prior to this port, we will have spent 4 days walking about Rome, Italy; boarding the ship on the 8th; touring Florence for 9.5 hours on the 9th; and an 8 hour ship's tour of Aix-en-Provence on the 10th. I am concerned about walking too much without a day of elevation and rest before this port, frankly, but don't want to miss a thing.

The Plan: We would get off the ship as early as possible, hail a cab to La Sagrada Familia, have tickets in hand, and tour there. Afterward, we would meander back toward the Gothic Quarter, possibly dining for lunch at some moderately priced place that offers sit down al fresco lunch, seafood paella, iberian pig, tapas, sangria (restaurant suggestions welcome). Next, we would stop in at Valor to enjoy chocolate and churros. I am a chocolate fanatic, so can't miss this. I understand there is an interesting cathedral and some great architecture in this district. I do want to do some souvenir shopping, people watching. Then, we would take a taxi back to the cruise port, as I expect my walking energy would be used up!

Any specific restaurants that might be along our route? What sights might we see walking between La Sagrada Familia and Gothic Quarter? Will I be able to shop for cool stuff in the Gothic Quarter, or should I go elsewhere? I like to buy household goods, ornaments from places where I travel, nothing too large or expensive. What transportation options that might ease our journey, but allow us to see Barcelona? I am really looking forward to this port!

Thanks for any input you might offer!

Julie

Future Cruises: Royal Princess Transatlantic Oct. 2016; Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean Nov. 2016

Prior: Royal Princess Transatlantic April/May 2015; Caribbean Princess Sept. 2014 Western Carib.; Crown Princess Jan. 2011, Western Carib.; Ocean Princess Nov. 2000, Southern Carib; Sea Princess Feb. 2000, Western Carib; Grand Princess Jan. 1999, Eastern Carib; Royal Caribbean Viking Serenade June 1999, West Coast; Norwegian Leeward 1997 - Bahamas.

Congratulations on the progress you are making with your recovery and I applaud your ambition on seeing as much as you can by foot. Take care that you don't do too much walking as you tour day after day so your energy doesn't fade too much.

Taking a cab to Sagrada Familia is a good idea. However, the Gothic quarter is not that close to Sagrada Familia, so to save a lot of walking I would suggest taking the metro to either the Catalunya or Liceu station which are on Las Ramblas and not that far from the cathedral. Also just off Las Ramblas is a large market (la bouqueria) where there are inexpensive places to eat and stands where they sell all sorts of things. In addition souvenirs are readily available along Las Ramblas.

Barcelona is a fascinating city - I'll be heading back there in September to get on a trans-Atlantic cruise back to the USA. Wishing you all the best!

We spent one day in Barcelona last year and are planning to go back and spend 4 days precruise this year.

Your plan appears to be reasonable and quite doable and your walking ability is remarkable and better than ours (in our 70s).

Keep in mind that you can minimize some of your walking by using the Metro which is what we will do on this years' trip. You can print off a map of Metro stops compatible with your plan and a T10 ticket (I read) is good for 10 rides and can be shared with others in your party. Apparently the T10 ticket is available from ticket machines in the subway terminals.

LJ below must have been typing at the very same time I was and it appears we both agree on the Metro. We also plan to visit the La bouqueria marketplace and although probably walkable( for me at least) from where we plan to stay, the Catalunya metro stop is within one block of our hotel and wife will prefer that.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

• 3 weeks later...

Hello and Congrats on your recovery and sense of adventure. Plan sounds great and the other peoples comments are very good. Barcelona can get very warm byt October is generally a very nice month. Metro travel is very reasonable and quite easy to use,There is a metro stop not too far from where the shuttle bus will drop you off outside the port.

Check out the menu of the day in most restaurants (even hotel restaurants) very good value for money. Gothic quarter is interesting. Walking around and soaking up the atmosphere as well as the architecture is very pleasant,you are never really that far from a metro stop for when you feel tired.

Have a wonderful cruise and happy sailing.