Walking/Hiking on a glacier?

claudiniusmaximus

What company did you use for the Wilderness Safari? I am looking on Alaska Excursions, but it doesn't mention walking on the glacier, just the canoe trip around. Love your trip report and can't wait for Ketchikan! ;)

We booked it through our cruise ship, so I can't tell you the company. And yes, you don't always get to walk on the glacier. We did... It just depends on the group and how the ice is. So we walked up just a little bit on the one side of it.

I'll say we didn't do much in Ketchikan, nothing really grabbed us, so we saved money in that town.

>"There wasn't a single other helicopter the whole time were up there"<

Ohmygod that sounds like utter bliss. Am gonna book that today. Thanks so much for your help. I saw your flickr videos last night as well. Mind blowing!

It really was a once in a lifetime experience. And I don't like flying, so I had to push myself out of my comfort zone a bit. I did fine, it was so beautiful.

Well that's booked! :):):) I'm now very excited. We decided to go for the two hour trek as it was only an extra £20 each.

We get back into town at 2.15pm and the ship leaves at 8pm. Does anyone know the likelihood of fitting in a whale watching tour? We would need to eat either on the whale watching tour (on a larger boat) or eat first somewhere local then head out on a smaller boat. I know they don't run on a whim, so would we have to charter a boat (making it prohibitively expensive)?

A couple of weeks ago we saw an evening whale watching trip advertised via the ship, but that's no longer there. Not sure if its sold out whether the 8pm departure prohibits it for timing reasons.

Any thoughts?

Has anyone done the Helicopter & Glacier Walk in both Juneau and Skagway? I know there are two different companies and curious what everyone's experience is with each. Would prefer to go in Skagway since there is less we want to do there but want the best experience possible.