Anyone heard from Chellie at Eagle Ray?

sportsterjohn

Hello sportsterjohn

I too have great interest in Chellie and Antonio at Eagleray. On their site at http://www.eagleraydivers.com the latest posting is Oct 23, 2005

was that they made it throught, and still have their boats.

My family will also be on the Triumph, Dec 24, 2005. We too are planning on beginner scuba course with Chellie.

Please keep me posted it you hear any news from them.

Oh, for you information the Triumph is suppost to be in dry dock now, so when you get it should be nicely redone.

sportsterjohn

We are booked with Chellie on the Radiance sailing due for Coz Dec16. I would be interested in knowing your experience and outcome as you are going ahead of us. Please post back on your return and I hope your diving and visit to Coz is great!

Hi sportsterjohn

We have never used eagle ray and need an honest opinion about them. Have you used any other dive operators in Cozumel? I am particularly interest in discover scuba 1 tank shore and boat dive.

This will be my first time with Eagle Ray. I have heard good reviews and they are supposed to be real good with those doing the resort course and newer divers. I did a discover tour with Cozumel Equalizers a few years back. It had good points and bad points. The bad points were that they were a bit too "mexican"; meaning too laid back, they forgot about my appt and when I got there, the instructor was already into her 3rd or 4th beer. They did get another instructor but we had to wait an hour for him to come from Playa. The eq was also kinda old probably not in the best condition. Now the good points: We had our own instructor and boat. The instructer, Robert was fantastic. We did 2 full tanks on the boat as well as another tank for training and the owner, Zapata was very honest esp when we had to deal with my debit card. We had to go to a bank to get money.

I have used Eagle Ray Divers on 2 seperate occassions, and would recommend them to anyone. In fact we are scheduled to do three days of diving with them in February 2006. My only other experience in diving in Cozumel was with the Carnival Shore Excursion dive operation -unfortunately I can't remember their name, and I was less than impressed. Because of this experience, I decided to find another Dive Operator on Cozumel for my next cruise. I was fortunate to find Eagle Ray based on information from this forum. They worked with me to set up the dive excursion based on my ships arrival / departure. On one occasion, they did a combined scuba & snorkel trip that allowed me to do a 2 tank dive, while other members of our party were able to snorkel at the same time (same boat). Certainly, there are other well run operations in Cozumel and you can find recommendations in this Forum, however I have been satisfied with Eagley Ray and don't see a reason to switch.

Hope this helps :)

I wish my DH & I had used Eagle Ray. We were in Coz back in September on the RCCL/NOS. Wanted to do the PADI Learn to Scuba class and had done some research on different dive ops. My first thought was going with ERD but then I could never get in contact w/Chellie. I emailed about 4x-never got a response. Other posters suggested checking for spam filters, etc. on my computer-which I did (and had no filters on). Never heard back from ERD. So, a fellow CC diver was going with ShoreTrips.com who uses Aqua Safari. Aqua Safari is listed in Frommer's 'Port/Cruising' guide as one of the top 2 dive ops in Coz so I felt it was safe to use this op.

To make a long story short (if you'd like the complete story, I'll do a write up on request)-it was horrible! :mad: While on our cruise, we had done some dodging on hurricane ? (There's been so many...can't remember the name of this one!)

Water conditions in Coz were NOT suitable for beginners to dive and ASafari took our group out anyway-I ended up not even being able to stand up in the water due to the chop / current. I ended up complaining to ShoreTrips about our experience. The trip was $79 and I ended up with a $50 refund back on my credit card.

Thinking back, I should have given Chellie a call when I didn't hear back from her via email. From what other posters have said, email on Coz can be hit-or-miss. I would never recommend ASafari due to the lack of professionalism and the lack of judgement in regards to the safety of beginner divers.

Eagle Ray Divers - LOVE THEM - they are the reason I got certified to begin with - I did a try scuba couse with them last year for my birthday, and it was amazing - they were kind, gentle, and wonderful people - my instructor HELD my hand the whole time - I am now fully certified, and went back this summer with my 12 year old daughter - Katie - she had so much fun snorkeling, and saw her first Baracuda - - - When Katie was done snorkeling -they let her climb the ladder of the boat and do "cannonballs" off the top - lots of cannonballs! - Katie had tons of fun - Good fruit, cold beverages, and a wonderful time.

I can't wait to take my next cruise and visit Antonio and Chellie Again - bypass Cayman Islands, and scuba in Coz with this outfit, you will love them.

Archived