Can you wear contacts on your eyes when you snorkel?

runrex

I'm going on my first cruise in December and want to snorkel. I never have been snorkeling before and I wear contact lens. Would the mask be tight enough to not let water in? Otherwise, I'm afraid I would loose a contact if water would enter in the mask. I've heard of prescription lens on the mask but I don't want to purchase a mask since I rarely go snorkeling.

I'm going on my first cruise in December and want to snorkel. I never have been snorkeling before and I wear contact lens. Would the mask be tight enough to not let water in? Otherwise, I'm afraid I would loose a contact if water would enter in the mask. I've heard of prescription lens on the mask but I don't want to purchase a mask since I rarely go snorkeling.
I have been wearing my contacts first snorkeling for a few years, now scuba diving for 3 years, and haven't lost one yet! Mask may leak a bit, depending on the fit, but usually not enough to get in your eyes. And there is a method to get it out, even under water when I'm diving. You tilt your head up, very slightly lift the mask bottom and blow air into the mask thru your nose ... the air pressure pushes the water out, and you release the mask back to your face to reseal. Of course if your snorkeling, you can lift your head out of the water, and lift the bottom slightly to just drain the bit of water out. Also - don't overtighten your mask, as that actually makes it work.

But alway travel with a spare contact pair or two .... just in case!!

Having worn contacts for years I now wear glasses on a daily basis and only wear contacts (daily disposables) for snorkelling. I haven't done a lot of snorkelling but have not had any problems wearing contacts at the same time. Like anniversary cruiser I wouldn't be able to see anything otherwise.

Archived