Recommendation

Joymarie

Looking for cruise ship recommendations for a single parent with 10 year old daughter. Boyfriend may go along depending on timing. Daughter is outgoing and will probably spend some time with kids activities but will spend most time together. She does not care much for big slides but likes ping pong, mini golf, swimming in a regular pool. She wanted to know if any ships have kids spas or cooking classes? I would like a cruise that has fun things to do but also quiet areas to relax.

Does she enjoy traveling and seeing new places? Does she like the beach or would she prefer visiting new cities? Is there an embarkation port that is easiest for you to reach?

At 10 you might want to involve her in choosing the destination since you can arrange cooking classes in many of the ports and all the ships should have swimming and I don't think ping pong and mini golf is going to limit you too much. Mini golf is available on all carnival ships, and I think most new ships on family lines (rc says it's free on their website and ncl has it on at least breakaway class).

My son was able to take a cooking class on Hal when he was 3 and he loved it and said the chefs pancakes came out better than his. He made tortillas with a Mayan family in Costa maya after visiting Mayan ruins.

• 2 weeks later...

We've sampled Carnival, Disney and Celebrity, but hands down, our daughters (now 12 and 7) LOVE Royal Caribbean, especially the Oasis and Quantum class ships. So much for them to do (even outside the kids clubs) and lots of great family entertainment and activities. If you end up travelling solo with your daughter, join the CC Roll Call for your sailing to meet others who will be onboard - it's a great way for you and your daughter to meet people early in the cruise that you can hang out with. One of our best cruises was on Allure of the Seas, in large part due to the many families we connected with online and then spent time with on the ship.

Edited by YOWmom