British Isles & Norway

jandm

We are planning to take these cruises on the Royal in July. Would like to hear from anyone who has done these together. What attire is needed for both? The British Isles seems port intensive. Is the Norway cruise a chance to relax a bit and sightsee from the ship? We would appreciate any info from someone who has done this. Thanks.

We did both last June on the ROYAL. Weather was cool to cold (for us from AZ it was freezing). Make sure to bring a warm jacket, long sleeves and sweaters. Incase you get a warm spell layers are always in order and it might tend to be warmer in the British Isles.

Not knowing exactly what itineraries you have I will assume the same as we had. Yes, the British Isles was very port intensive,2 sea days & 10 port days, and the excursions we had were day long. The second, Norweigan Fjords and Iceland, had 5 sea days and 7 port days. The excursions were not as long.

Not sure what you mean by "sightsee from the ship". Unless near the ports where coming and going there was a lot to see we saw little or no land.

Future cruises:

5/04 HAL-Amsterdam-Alaska

9/04 Star Princess-Med.x2 Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome

11/04 Dawn Princess-Southern Caribbean

Jan. 05 Diamond Princess-Mexican Riviera

July 05 Star Princess-Baltics

Aug. 05 Star Princess-Baltics

Past cruises:

04 Dawn Princess- Southern Caribbean x2

03 Grand Princess-W.Caribbean

03 Sun Princess -Mexico

03-Tahitian Princess-Tahiti/ Cook Islands

03 Royal Princess-x2 British Isles & Norwegian Fjords/ Iceland

03 Island Princess-Panama Canal

01 HAL Ryndam x 2-S. America San Diego to Valpariso/ & around Cape Horn to Rio

00 Sky Princess-China/Orient

79 Sitmar's Fairwind- Caribbean/Panama Canal

Thanks BJS. I read your post about the Royal. We would have preferred a newer ship, but we have heard rumors that the newer ships may not be going to Waterford or the Fjords. I appreciate the info about taking cold weather clothing. It means more packing, but we don't want to freeze. When I mentioned sightseeing from the ship, I was thinking of the Fjords. We are thinking of skipping the Day long land tour because of the length of time involved. We heard that the ship traveled through a picturesque area which could be viewed from the ship. We considered this to be a possibility since the British Isles tours are so intense. Our British Isles itinerary is the same as yours was, however, we are just doing the Fjords and not going to Iceland. Do you know if Princess makes any reductions in laundry charges for people on double cruises? Thanks for your help. I am most appreciative.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Do you know if Princess makes any reductions in laundry charges for people on double cruises? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>There was none on ours but there are laundry rooms and many who did b2b did them on the "turn around" day.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When I mentioned sightseeing from the ship, I was thinking of the Fjords.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> We took the over land tour from Hellesylt to Geiranger so can't tell you about that part of the cruise. The tour was one of the highlights, of many, for these cruises. With the "turn around" day and only one sea and one port day which wasn't very long we felt well rested. Where the ship was tendered in Geiranger (population 200)it was VERY scenic with the road winding straigth up to Mt. Dalsnibba where we have pictures of the ship tendered 4757' below.

Future cruises:

5/04 HAL-Amsterdam-Alaska

9/04 Star Princess-Med.x2 Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome

11/04 Dawn Princess-Southern Caribbean

Jan. 05 Diamond Princess-Mexican Riviera

July 05 Star Princess-Baltics

Aug. 05 Star Princess-Baltics

Past cruises:

04 Dawn Princess- Southern Caribbean x2

03 Grand Princess-W.Caribbean

03 Sun Princess -Mexico

03-Tahitian Princess-Tahiti/ Cook Islands

03 Royal Princess-x2 British Isles & Norwegian Fjords/ Iceland

03 Island Princess-Panama Canal

01 HAL Ryndam x 2-S. America San Diego to Valpariso/ & around Cape Horn to Rio

00 Sky Princess-China/Orient

79 Sitmar's Fairwind- Caribbean/Panama Canal

did you get a chance to read my review for the Norway stops you're gonna make? Surf to the bottom of this thread for a link to my review from last July/Aug. 03

Norwegian Fjords cruise Jul/Aug 03

also, you can check out this post for my experience re weather -

Norwegian Fjords weather in July post

if you decide on just one over-land train, consider the Flaam/Voss/Vik if that's a port of call for you. IT was THE HIGHLIGHT! Absolutely gorgeous and we wouldn't have seen those sights from any ship.

And, I got gorgeous shots of the fjord from the top of Mt. Dalsnibba. It was a short bus excursion in Geiranger. Besides, not much else to do in that little whistle stop of a town anyway. (only a handful of shops and that's it!)

not taking vacations but collecting experiences - usavvy2

Royal Princess 9/04/04 - "Europe or Bust!" countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;09;04;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the info. It was very helpful. We are now thinking about the land tour. Our room is near the self service laundry, so I guess we will be visiting it on our sea days. Thanks again.

Archived