NCL Escape Solo Cruiser Review -- 6NT W. Caribbean Aug. 28, 2016

soloscientist

Norwegian Escape review and itinerary from a late-20s solo cruiser staying in a Balcony cabin.

I'll be posting this as a couple entries just because it is pretty long. This is also my first review so I'm not sure how the formatting will turn out.

Feel free to leave comments or questions and I will try to keep up.

I have cruised previously on other lines with my family but I went solo for the first time. Below I provide a review of my solo experience and first time on NCL that focuses on specific topics (e.g. cabins, service, entertainment), especially those of interest to solos (e.g. studio lounge). I also provide detailed daily itineraries to show that I really did have fun and did (read, ate :)) a lot on and off the ship. Hopefully this can help other solos decide whether NCL is the line for them or convince someone on the fence to try out solo cruising.

Rationale for choosing NCL:

I decided to go with NCL since they offered the studio cabins, guaranteeing that there would be other solos onboard. From reading reviews on CC, it seemed that NCL would be the best option to meet others and find companions for dinner. I had looked into RCCL as some of their newer ships had solo cabins, but they make no effort to attract solo cruisers or cater to them onboard, which is unfortunate. Also, NCL had solo cruiser and last minute discounts, unlike RCCL.

Full disclosure: This review contains my personal opinions. If you do not like or want to read my personal opinions or about my ship activities, please click the following link to be redirected to a video of some puppies

If you do want to read, please continue and be kind in the comments. First time review. Fair warning, I write detailed reports for a living, so I can get a little long winded. Do I get a prize for longest NCL review?

Also, your experience solo cruising may vary. I think my first solo cruise was great due to a combination of factors.

1. Preparation: Reading reviews here on CC, watching YouTube videos, doing my research. I knew about the extra charges for certain activities and budgeted appropriately. I knew about the UDP and UBP and how to use them properly.
  2. Solo Coordinator: An awesome solo coordinator, Aldean. She made this whole thing run smoothly and took a lot of the hassle out of the trip onboard. Invaluable.
  3. CC Roll Call: Joining the roll call on CC gives you a chance to meet other cruisers as well as the officers at the organized meet and greet, who can help with things like Studio Lounge access.
  4. Great group of solo cruisers: I hung out with two cruise critic solo cruisers most of the cruise and with several other solos ranging in age from 30 to 55. I might have been the youngest solo cruiser in the group but it did not matter. The varied interests and tastes meant I tried things that I might not have on my own e.g. 80s dance party (thanks OhMyCher), all of the food on the ship (thanks PhillyDad).

Let's begin....

Love the review nice job. Also, a huge major plus to your review is that your a solo cruiser like myself but you also live in good ole Philly like myself!!

Love the review nice job. Also, a huge major plus to your review is that your a solo cruiser like myself but you also live in good ole Philly like myself!!

Glad you enjoyed it. I've only lived in the Philly area for 9 months but I'm enjoying it. I actually met another solo cruiser from Philly, PhillyDad, on this cruise who lives just down the road and is on CC, too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums