I just got lucky...on the Carnival website

CarolinaCookieman

In April 2016, I booked an Aft balcony on Vista for the January 28, 2017 sailing. Of course, like most other people, I wanted a Hanava Cabana, but alas, none were available.

The lovely wife and I have been on 15 cruises, and I love to find out everything I can about the ship we are cruising on, so that once we board, I know exactly what to do, and where to go. Cruise Critic is invaluable in my quest. I copy and paste information to my Word document.

We don't mind spending extra for the speciality dining, so I made reservations at the Chef's Table, Cucina del Capitano, Fahrenheit 555 Steakhouse, and Ji Ji Asian Kitchen. My wife is 5'4", and get this...she doesn't like being in large crowds...but she loves to cruise! She feels 'crushed' fighting for food in the Lido, so we don't mind paying extra for a less stressful dinner in the speciality restaurants.

So, here is what made my day. I signed in to the Carnival website to book shore excursions, and just for giggles, I decided to see how many rooms were still unsold for our cruise.

Jumping Jehosaphat!...there was one Havana Cabana, 5231, available. My heart was pounding, which quite honestly is not the best thing for me, as I take Xarelto and other medication for my A-Fib heart condition. My cat like reflexes allowed me to find my cell phone, and call Carnival to upgrade my room. Imagine my disappointment when the charming young lady on the other end of the phone said, "I don't show Stateroom 5231 available." Luckily, she asked me "Are you on your computer?" I was, and that had placed a few minute hold on the room. I exited from the Carnival site, and let her do her magic. Long story short, upgrade was $550.00.

To those wanting a Havana Cabana, keep looking, they might pop up!

I don't plan on informing my wife of the upgrade, she will find out when we go to the room. I doubt she will notice at check-in, unless the counter person tells her. I was lucky enough on 5-31-2015 to purchase FTTF, so we can go straight to the room.

Who knows, I might get lucky again!

Edited by CarolinaCookieman

Now watch fare viewer for price reductions. Last 2 cruises we were lucky to have a 25% reduction on sunshine and 20% reduction and a free spa upgrade on the vista. Our next cruise has gone down $60 already. And im sure it will drop more.

Congratulations! You are going to LOVE it. Same thing happened to me. For a year I was booked in a family harbor suite. Then the day of final payment, a Havana suite became available! We sailed on August 6th.

But I must warn you......you may never want to stay in a regular cabin again.

Enjoy!

Now watch fare viewer for price reductions. Last 2 cruises we were lucky to have a 25% reduction on sunshine and 20% reduction and a free spa upgrade on the vista. Our next cruise has gone down $60 already. And im sure it will drop more.

Actually, if Havana Cabanas are now sold out, they won't be any price reductions for threadstarter (bad part of booking a high demand speciality cabin).

I don't want to appear nit-picky but it is "Specialty", not "Speciality". And we have a Havana stateroom booked for the exclusivity it comes with!!

Just all depends on where you're from. American term is specialty, British and Australian is Speciality. So both correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In April 2016, I booked an Aft balcony on Vista for the January 28, 2017 sailing. Of course, like most other people, I wanted a Hanava Cabana, but alas, none were available.

The lovely wife and I have been on 15 cruises, and I love to find out everything I can about the ship we are cruising on, so that once we board, I know exactly what to do, and where to go. Cruise Critic is invaluable in my quest. I copy and paste information to my Word document.

We don't mind spending extra for the speciality dining, so I made reservations at the Chef's Table, Cucina del Capitano, Fahrenheit 555 Steakhouse, and Ji Ji Asian Kitchen. My wife is 5'4", and get this...she doesn't like being in large crowds...but she loves to cruise! She feels 'crushed' fighting for food in the Lido, so we don't mind paying extra for a less stressful dinner in the speciality restaurants.

So, here is what made my day. I signed in to the Carnival website to book shore excursions, and just for giggles, I decided to see how many rooms were still unsold for our cruise.

Jumping Jehosaphat!...there was one Havana Cabana, 5231, available. My heart was pounding, which quite honestly is not the best thing for me, as I take Xarelto and other medication for my A-Fib heart condition. My cat like reflexes allowed me to find my cell phone, and call Carnival to upgrade my room. Imagine my disappointment when the charming young lady on the other end of the phone said, "I don't show Stateroom 5231 available." Luckily, she asked me "Are you on your computer?" I was, and that had placed a few minute hold on the room. I exited from the Carnival site, and let her do her magic. Long story short, upgrade was $550.00.

To those wanting a Havana Cabana, keep looking, they might pop up!

I don't plan on informing my wife of the upgrade, she will find out when we go to the room. I doubt she will notice at check-in, unless the counter person tells her. I was lucky enough on 5-31-2015 to purchase FTTF, so we can go straight to the room.

Who knows, I might get lucky again!

What a wonderful surprise for your wife. She's a lucky lady!! J

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't want to appear nit-picky but it is "Specialty", not "Speciality". And we have a Havana stateroom booked for the exclusivity it comes with!!

Its like the difference between who cares and nobody cares. Go "nit pick" yourself. Totally

Another cruiser who sailed on August 18th said that they opened the Havana area for everyone the entire first day of the cruise. That did not happen to us on our August 6th sailing, however, it was still 5:00 PM before it opened to the public on that cruise.