Which NJ hotels (if any) have view of Cape Liberty?

shonandsuzie

We currently have the Westin Jersey City booked and it looks SUPER fantastic. We also still have the Embassy Suites at EWR booked (because I haven't cancelled yet... :o lol). I am ignorant about this general area but when cruising from Florida ports, I like to wake up and see the cruise ships come in. Would I be able to see the cruise ships come in from either of these 2 hotels?

Edited by shonandsuzie

We currently have the Westin Jersey City booked and it looks SUPER fantastic. We also still have the Embassy Suites at EWR booked (because I haven't cancelled yet... :o lol). I am ignorant about this general area but when cruising from Florida ports, I like to wake up and see the cruise ships come in. Would I be able to see the cruise ships come in from either of these 2 hotels?

Unfortunately no view of Cape Liberty. All the closest hotels are 8-11 mikes from the pier.

For a view of the ship coming in you'd have to be staying in a waterfront B&B on Staten Island where you would just see the ship sail by on its way to Cape Liberty.

shonandsuzie ~

As Carol (138east) says, you can't see Cape Liberty from either hotel--or, indeed, from any hotel that I know of. But, depending on the location of your room at the Westin, you might have a fantastic view of the Hudson River and the Manhattan skyline.

The Westin is right across the street from the Newport Yacht Club & Marina, and from the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway, which runs right along the waterfront for a number of miles from Bayonne up toward the George Washington Bridge. You'll certainly have views of any boats in the river (ferries, excursion boats, sailboats, tugs, & so forth). And, depending on the date, you could see a cruise ship coming down the Hudson from one of the Upper West Side (Manhattan) piers (usually around 4 pm - 5 pm) or going north to the pier (usually around 5 am - 6 am).

These short videos, shot in April 2012, show the Westin, the marina, the waterfront walkway, and the Manhattan skyline:

(By contrast, the Embassy Suites or indeed any hotel at EWR will give you a view of ... the airport, as well as [probably] the New Jersey Turnpike and/or various service roads. I know which view I prefer! ;))

Edited by Post Captain

If you don't get a view, sure to explore the Westin thoroughly. I've heard that the restaurant on the top floor has great views and you can just go there for a drink. Any public venue on a high floor should have a great view. Check into whether Starwood rewards will get you free wifi.

shonandsuzie ~

(By contrast, the Embassy Suites or indeed any hotel at EWR will give you a view of ... the airport, as well as [probably] the New Jersey Turnpike and/or various service roads. I know which view I prefer! ;))

Lol!!!!! :D I concur!!!

Thanks for your help, too. :)

If you don't get a view, sure to explore the Westin thoroughly. I've heard that the restaurant on the top floor has great views and you can just go there for a drink. Any public venue on a high floor should have a great view. Check into whether Starwood rewards will get you free wifi.

Thanks! I will for sure.

The Westin is lovely, and has a great view of lower Manhattan. Yes, you can see it from the restaurant/lounge and the location is perfect for getting into NYC. PATH is just downstairs.

Bayonne needs a hotel but most of the area surrounding Cape Liberty is ugly. It's an old military ocean terminal with condemned buildings that haven't been removed due to the cost of asbestos remediation. Once you get out to the water it's nice, the new terminal is great and the 9/11 Teardrop memorial is there.

The Westin is lovely, and has a great view of lower Manhattan. Yes, you can see it from the restaurant/lounge and the location is perfect for getting into NYC. PATH is just downstairs. Bayonne needs a hotel but most of the area surrounding Cape Liberty is ugly. It's an old military ocean terminal with condemned buildings that haven't been removed due to the cost of asbestos remediation. Once you get out to the water it's nice, the new terminal is great and the 9/11 Teardrop memorial is there.

I'm excited to see it all! We'll be in the area for 3 days pre-cruise.

The Westin is lovely, and has a great view of lower Manhattan. Yes, you can see it from the restaurant/lounge and the location is perfect for getting into NYC. PATH is just downstairs.

Bayonne needs a hotel but most of the area surrounding Cape Liberty is ugly. It's an old military ocean terminal with condemned buildings that haven't been removed due to the cost of asbestos remediation. Once you get out to the water it's nice, the new terminal is great and the 9/11 Teardrop memorial is there.

I agree. You're fine at the Westin. Maybe one day, NJ politics will be put aside(not holding my breath) and somebody will figure out how to develop that property. But for right now, it's a dump that is being taken advantage of by Chris Christie and the city of Bayonne.