Just back Eastern Med 09/26 Galaxy -review

We just returned from the Celebrity Galaxy 09/26 Eastern Med from Rome. Also 3 nights pre in Venice and 2 nights post in Rome in addition to the 12 day cruise. Overall, would highly recommend this itinerary.

I put in many web links on our shore trip contacts and Europe info sites.

If you have any further questions, my email is at the end of the review.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=13190

Yes, it was a great trip, Susan, I also read your Millie recent trip report and printed it out. Good writing as well!

We'd like to take the Millie sometime. I had booked the Millie repo cruise next Nov as the Connie was booked for Sept/06. I've rethought that and may take a repo spring/07 and maybe Western Med or N Europe back to back. Celebrating our 30th. We'll see.

My wife, Judi and her Mom are going on Infinity to Alaska from Van June 18/06.

Happy cruising

Al

Al, I'm sure that you would really enjoy the Millennium as well. The back to back sounds great! (we were celebrating our 30th anniversary on this trip).

The Alaska cruise is really nice too...Judi and her mom will enjoy it! I also did it with my mom (& sister)....lots of fun & great scenery. But the Med is my favourite so far.

We don't have any other cruises lined up (yet) ....we want to see South America and are planning to do a land trip there.

If you are thinking of N. Europe, the Baltic cruise was my second favourite....was that the one that you were planning to do on Constellation?

Have fun planning!

Hi Al, thanks for the great review. I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind. Could you give me some more info on Venice, such as, where did you stay, how did you handle the transportation, can you give any recomendations for eating, shopping, etc. I'll be on the Grand for this cruise, and going to a lot of the same ports, so I really appreciate your input.

Hi Al, Wonderful review. My DH & I are booked for this cruise next Sept 2006. Looking forward to it & planning like mad.

We have been most of the places before so its a chance to try something new when ashore.

Did you see the Topkapi palace & cisterns in Istanbul?

So is it right that the 'posh' spa pool is free for concierge class? I know for regular cabins there is a charge and suites are free but CC cabins???

thanks

jo

Joandbun, Venice was fantastic. Here is a good link to Venice. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Read the arriving section for more details.

We arrived at Marco Polo and were staying in the San Croce area, near the train station and Piazzale Roma(parking/bus area). This is very convenient. From MP you have several ways to get to Venice. If you are staying near St. Mark's take the Alilaguna (sp?) water boat, about 12 euros I think. All cars and trains arrive in the Piazzale Roma area. You can also take a wheeled taxi there or water taxi. Water taxis are the most expensive, 60 to 80 euros. If you share with someone, they will take you right to your hotel or as close as possible. We took the ATVO bus, about 3 euros, as we were staying near the Piazzale area. Here you can then switch to a water bus (2 euros a ride or buy the Venice pass- check out http://www.venice.com )

In any event, be prepared to walk over rough sidewalks, up/down bridges. So if you are pulling a large cruise bag, be prepared for that. Now if you are going to the cruise ship directly, read the link noted above for additional instructions. I know some ships run shuttles to St. Mark;'s square, for once you are on board, no need to worry about bags until you disembark.

We stayed at the San Simeon, very nice, 3*, 210 euros per, then we were to go to the Canal and Walter, close by, but they had some booking problem and they routed us to the ****onale a 2*, adequate but not like San Simeon. Also about 200 euros. No deals in Venice. Some people like to stay in St. Marks and Rialto bridge area, handy, but very crowded. We could walk there in about 15 min. So if you don't mind walking San Croce is an OK area. Many shops and winding paths, with no street names, but you won't get lost. We picniced at at a grocery store, bought some wine and ate on our own. Many good, but most expensive restaurants. Pizza is also quick and good. We took a water taxi to Lido, a beach resort town, very nice there. We've seen the Doge's Palace, Guggenheim museum, Academia, St. Mark's basilica and square of course and the Campinille (tower). You will love it there, we can go back there every year!

PS, we looked at the Grand Princess as well, but found their prices almost 2x the price of Galaxy, and could not justify this difference. Maybe you got a good deal. I think the Grand has 1000 more passengers, so it is a busy, but beautiful ship.

Al

Joandbun

Yes, the Galaxy is fantastic, you'll have fun.

We toured all the regular Istanbul spots, but ran out of time for the cistern. Heard it was OK, so didn't hear we missed much. The Palace was fantastic, takes a lot of time though.

The therapy pool is free for CC I believe as well. Trick is the pool area is inside the lockers and showers. No one really watches whether you have a pass or now. We didn't see many people using it in any regard. We didn't try it, but heard it was good.

Al

Archived