Day Rate around LAX? (Killing time with small kids)

Jessinak

Hi,

I am flying into LAX (red-eye from Alaska) on a Sunday morning, arriving around 6:30am. I will be traveling with two very small children (ages 3 1/2 and 20 months) and can't board my RCCL ship until noon or so.

My hope is that someone can offer some free advice on a clean, kid-friendly hotel where I can spend the morning with my kids and my load of luggage until we can get to the ship.

I have zero experience with LAX and only caveat is that I want to stay close to the airport because my sister arrives on a later flight mid-morning.

Thanks in advance for any insight. I also posted this on the "Families" board and hope I have not committed some breach of etiquette by double posting.

I just got the Embassy Suites LAX North on Priceline for a November date for $41. We fly into LA early in the day and catch a Qantas flight to Sydney at nearly midnight. We plan to either check in when we get in about 1 p.m. or have them hold our luggage so we can head to Santa Monica for a few hours. If you get in quite early, I am sure the least they could do is hold the luggage and even let you hang out by the pool until your room is ready. But it sounds more like you just want a place to hang out and may not need the room since you are heading for the port by noon.

Another option I found is the Travelodge at LAX which offers day rates. I believe it was $45 or something like that.

If you decide to find a place and pay for a night I would pay for the night before. (Make sure you advise the hotel you won't arrive till the AM or they will give your room away as a no show). This way when you get there at 6am you have a room to go to. I would also ask for the latest checkout and they should let you stay till about 1 (I am sure you want to leave before that). It may be a really good option to have a room to go to, have the bellman save your luggage and the kids can spend time napping, watching TV, or have a party with room service. Hope your cruise is a great one...

I kind of doubt if you can get a day room at 6:30 a.m. (but I guess you can call the hotel and ask). Most day rooms are available after the early morning guests check out and before the late afternoon/early evening guests check in. It's probably a wise idea to reserve the room for the night before even tho you won't be there. Call the hotel desk and tell them you will be arriving very early a.m. with kids and ask that they hold the room. Most of the major hotels at LAX allow day rooms but rarely do you see that option on their websites so you need to call hotel directly to arrange in most cases.

Archived