First time aft question

IslandSliderGirl

We are finally getting back on a ship after three long years, YAY!! We will be sailing in December on Carnival Valor. We normally have a regular balcony cabin but this time I booked an aft balcony cabin. Since this will be our first aft, is there any tips or tricks I need to know about sailing aft? Hoping we will like it as much as a regular balcony. Thanks and happy sailing to all!!

I have had one aft balcony and would probably not get another. The views were exceptional for sure, that was the only plus. The downside for us was that it got so hot during the day, as there was not full roof coverage due to the slanting of the back side of the ship, that we could not step on the deck without shoes. (southern carribean) We would have burned our feet and there was zero shade during the day. And the decks above us could look down on us so there was no hanky panky opportunities, unless of course you are an exhibitionist.

One of the things I like best about balcony rooms is that you can be outside but out of the rain or sun, if you choose to. If we want full sun, we would go topside. Our aft balcony did not give us this option and it cost a heck of alot more than a standard balcony room did at that time.

I wish I remember which ship it was. Perhaps not all ships are slanted in the back like ours was and if not, then shade and privacy would not be an issue.

I've had several balcony cabins, but only once did I opt for an aft balcony. Never again! For me, the cons outweighed the pros. The major cons I had were the lack of privacy on each side and from above, cigarettes being tossed from above, and too hot due to virtually no overhang. That long walk to EVERYWHERE on the ship was a drag too.

With all that being said, I don't want to discourage you from trying it. Many people I have conversed with love them, and you may too. I say to try it at least once and make up your own mind. Have fun!

Edited by RMcoolX

We had an aft on a Royal Caribbean ship and LOVED it! The balcony was huge. it was very quiet, as it was not near the elevator, so no slamming doors or people running down the hall. I didn't hear any additional noise by being in the back of the ship. I'm now spoiled and am having a hard time going to a regular balcony after being on an AFT balcony.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

We had an aft Wrap on the Breeze this past April and absolutely loved it! Going from usually staying in a Cloud 9 Spa Balcony way in the front to the other end of this ship, being it was just the hubby and I we figured why not and try it. So glad we did, great views of the Sunrise in the morn or the sunset in the evening. Waking up to seeing the view of the Ocean right in front of you, that was Priceless. We were on deck 8 , which we found was perfect. Definitely would book again.

We are aft balcony cabin fans. :D

We enjoy our own private sailaway with a glass of wine, toast the sunset most evenings and enjoy breakfast on the balcony too.

On our last cruise, the only balconies were the suites and that was nice, but much noisier than we were used to. For the most part, only the guests staying in the aft cabins venture back here.

Several years ago, we came upon two older women right near our cabin who were lost. When we asked what they were looking for, they said they thought they could get to the back of the ship and were disappointed not to find 'it.' DH opened our cabin door and pulled back the curtains for them to see that they were as far aft as they could be.

We've done several cabin crawls and people are always fascinated with the view.

Is it a walk to some parts of the ship, yes, but we enjoy the exercise. We've experienced some heat, but not all day, and nothing to stop us from sitting out there.

Hubby is up early every morning and loves the peace and quiet of the start of a new. Maybe I should mention he was on a submarine in the navy, so seeing the ocean is a treat!

We are finally getting back on a ship after three long years, YAY!! We will be sailing in December on Carnival Valor. We normally have a regular balcony cabin but this time I booked an aft balcony cabin. Since this will be our first aft, is there any tips or tricks I need to know about sailing aft? Hoping we will like it as much as a regular balcony. Thanks and happy sailing to all!!

AHOY SHIPMATE.

Congrats on getting the AFT EXTENDED balcony. There is extra room to lounge, rather than sit in regular chairs at attention, it is not any rougher than other areas and the view is just as good. Look for the secret stairs up to the SERENITY deck and LIDO.

ANTIQUE SAILOR

SEA YA

Had the aft balcony once on the Glory. The balcony space was nice, we were able to have a chaise lounge and I did nap out there frequently.

But as others said, there is absolutely no privacy from either side or above and if it rains there is not overhanging cover.

Also, the cabin did not have the couch and coffee table area. There was just a small chair, the extra room taken from the cabin to extend the balcony. It's just DH and I so it was ok, but we had to sit on the bed all the time, with no couch.

Still, you're going in December, the weather won't be unbearably hot and the rainy season is past. Give it a chance and enjoy!

Thanks for all the opinions and replies. Hubby thinks I booked an oceanview cabin this time around (told him I booked with a tight budget in mind, he's laid back and let's me make the arrangements which works for me!). So, I've been keeping the secret and got nervous since I veered off our normal course. I'm sticking with the aft and we'll see what we think. What's the worst that can happen?! We are going to get back on a Carnival ship!! :D:D:D

We always book aft wrap or aft L-shaped cabins. We love being aft because of the lack of foot traffic. Even on Fantasy class ships, we book the aft facing ocean view for that very reason. Once we booked a guarantee balcony because of timing and we were mid-ships and the noise from people going back & forth and kids yelling was awful! Never again - aft forever!

We generally get aft-wraps and never have had a plain aft cabin. BUT as far as tips/tricks, here's what I got:

• Get a plastic pail/ice bucket from a bar and keep it in your cabin. Fill it with water and dump on the decks if you want go be barefoot. The aft portion can be VERY hot.
  • Get used to a lack of privacy because you don't have it on the aft decks. Hopefully you won't have a "Chatty Cathy" for a neighbor who wants to tell you their life story.
  • Bring a napkin or two from Lido to aid in cleaning up the trash you may find on the balcony, and also to wipe down any soot.
  • Bring a hat, because it can be hot, Hot, HOT!. No breeze at all.
  • Bring Suntan lotion because there is no shade.
  • Learn to like watching where you've been as you can't see where your going.

The times we get a wrap we spend most of the time on the side where one can get shade, privacy, a view, and a breeze. Good luck!

Pretty good accounting of the pros & cons. Is it nicer than a regular balcony...for the most part yes. But minimal protection from rain & sun is an issue, and a bigger one to me was the soot particulates that accumulate overnight. Despite being cleaned daily by the Steward, I usually cleaned the chairs again before using them.

To me, not worth the price differential in most cases. But like another poster said, if you're a frequent cruiser, it's worth trying once.

Pretty good accounting of the pros & cons. Is it nicer than a regular balcony...for the most part yes. But minimal protection from rain & sun is an issue, and a bigger one to me was the soot particulates that accumulate overnight. Despite being cleaned daily by the Steward, I usually cleaned the chairs again before using them.

To me, not worth the price differential in most cases. But like another poster said, if you're a frequent cruiser, it's worth trying once.

As has been stated here, to each their own. My wife and I love the aft balcony cabins preferring them above all others. The extra room I think is worth the price differential and being at the aft the quiet since there are few that come back there make it worth it. I do wipe down the chairs and railing each morning but that does not bother me. We had a Grand Suite on the Elation earlier this year and the noise from the balconies on either side (Grand Suites will hold up to 5 people) and the noise in the passageways was noticeably much higher. I even had to bang on an adjoining wall one night to get the people to quiet down :mad:.

Just that is REALLY loud when you're sailing. And you will have less covering than you are used to. And less privacy.

We had our first aft balcony stateroom on our Carnival Conquest cruise a few years ago and I absolutely loved it. Did not experience many of the issues some have mentioned No soot, we did have shade sometimes, and the only time people could see you was if you were standing right up by the railing then your neighbors on either side could see you and folks from above could look down on your. But sitting, or relaxing on the lounger, they could not so I didn't feel there was really any lack of privacy.

Loved having breakfast (room service) out there every morning, no better way to start the day.

Loved sail away as we left from New Orleans so cruised 8 hours down the river before getting out to see, and saw a lot of interesting things.

Loved watching the wake of the ship, simply mesmerizing.

Loved pulling into and leaving from ports, great to see all around instead of just on one side as a regular balcony does.

Loved having the lounger, I spent at least 2-3 hours relaxing on it and reading (and watching the wake!) every afternoon.

We cruised in January and I never thought it was too hot out there, and we did have breeze sometimes.

If I could have gotten an aft balcony room for our up-coming Dream cruise I would have but none were availale when I booked. :( I will really miss it this time. Love, love, LOVE having an aft balcony room!!!

We had an aft wrap on the Valor in August. It was our first cruise, and we loved the cabin. The balcony was huge and I spent a tremendous amount of time there. We had 3 chaise loungers, 4 chairs and 2 tables (for 2 people!) I'm spoiled for anything else now.

image.jpg.3c8b5667f113025f9371038e65d9c289.jpg

We are having our third consecutive aft balcony. We find these are much bigger than the regular ones. Also at the stern these decks can be terraced and that helps my problem with heights. As others have mentioned, great to sit out with a beverage listening to music from within the Cabin (not loud enough to disturb the neighbours) and looking back at the wake as we leave beautiful Island views behind.