question for Yukon

mumom95

Yukon - I've been reading this board for months, planning my trip to Alaska for 2006.

We are booked on the Coral Princess for a southbound Whittier to Vancouver from July 24-July31st.

We are flying in to Anchorage on July 18th (we land around 3:00 pm, coming from Cincinnati Ohio).

We want to go to Seward and Denali. Would you mind giving me a recommendation on how many days you would spend at each place and how you would get from each place (we land on the 18th and our cruise leaves on the 24th), and if there is something else you think we should see. Also, any recommendations on things to do (I have a decent idea of what we may do, but I would like your opinion.). We are in our early 30s and in good shape, so there is no limitations on mobility. And money wise, we aren't rich, but we have been saving for a long time and want to do this right (it is our 10th anniversary) so I am pretty confident we have the money to do what we want while we are there. We are big animal lovers, so seeing wildlife is a priority.

I have a decent idea already of what we want to do, but I'm not sure if I am maximizing my time (where to go first and so on). Especially given that the train only departs places at certain times (we are planning on renting a car, but I didn't know if we should do this the whole trip or plan on taking the train at some point.). I already know the places we will stay (Lakeview Inn in Denali, Hampton Inn in Anchorage and Holiday Inn express in Seward, Hampton and Holiday Inn because we have hotel points and can stay for free)

So, if you and your significant other were going to Alaska, in good shape and money wasn't a major issue (I don't want to give you the impression we can afford anything and everything, because that isn't the case), what would you do and what would your timeline be.

Thanks for all your advice.

Although we undoubtedly have somewhat different priorities, in a perfect world where Cathy and I could plan our first trip to Alaska, this would be the approximate itinerary:

- July 18: arrive in Anchorage, rent a car for 5 days, stay at the Millenium (a fine hotel on Lake Hood, the world's largest float plane base);

- July 19: take one of the longer (ca. 3 hour) tour of the city, go out to the Native Heritage Center, then back downtown to look around and visit other attractions;

- July 20: drive to Denali with a stop at Talkeetna (lots more ideas for that route are posted at http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/parkshwy.html ). If the weather cooperates, take a Denali flight from Talkeetna, or the Denali strip. Accommodations at Denali would be the mood of the moment - there are some really fine small properties in Healy that I'd love to try;

- July 21: take the park shuttle to Wonder Lake and back for the best wildlife sightings available to most people;

- July 22: drive back to Anchorage and turn the car in. Stay at the Historic Anchorage Hotel (a boutique property downtown, close to the railroad station);

- July 23: take the AKRR train to Seward, go on either a glacier dogsled trip or a Kenai Fjords cruise for a closeup look at the coast (or there are lots more ideas at http://www.explorenorth.com/library/communities/alaska/seward.html ).

- July 24: go to the Sealife Center before transferring to Whittier for boarding your ship.

Murray

Archived