Social Media Package & WhatsApp

CaityMarie

I'm going on my first cruise with my boyfriend and his family next spring. This will be my first time out of the country (aside from Canada, which is a ferry ride away). My mom is very worried about me, and I'd like to make this as easy as possible for, as she is also staying at hour house watching our dog and cat. I know that the main social media apps will work, including the WhatsApp. I just want to make sure that the calling feature on the app will also work, and not just the chat feature?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I'm going on my first cruise with my boyfriend and his family next spring. This will be my first time out of the country (aside from Canada, which is a ferry ride away). My mom is very worried about me, and I'd like to make this as easy as possible for, as she is also staying at hour house watching our dog and cat. I know that the main social media apps will work, including the WhatsApp. I just want to make sure that the calling feature on the app will also work, and not just the chat feature?

I used the WhatsApp calling feature on my last cruise. It worked fine as well as the chat feature. This way your mom can be in constant contact with you while you are on your vacation.

I used the WhatsApp calling feature on my last cruise. It worked fine as well as the chat feature. This way your mom can be in constant contact with you while you are on your vacation.

Thank you so much! This will make her worry a tad bit less. We are only going to be in Port 3 of the 7 days, and it's not worth getting the cell plan for Mexico for just those days as it is expensive.

Caity

it might depend on what ship you are on. i used whatsapp on the pride to keep in touch with my mother in law who was watching our kids. i had the value plan because i also needed access to the internet during the cruise. the call feature did not work on the whatsapp when i tried to call home. the chat worked fine and i could record a message and send it like a voice mail and then in return get voice mail messages back, but no calling. so i upgraded to the premium package and that also did not work with the call feature. i used the whatsapp because i have an iphone and she had an android. if you both have iphones the imessage i heard works better than the whatsapp. also if you both are on facebook the call feature might work better on the facebook messenger. just be prepared in case the whatsapp call feature doesn't work for you on the ship you are on.

it might depend on what ship you are on. i used whatsapp on the pride to keep in touch with my mother in law who was watching our kids. i had the value plan because i also needed access to the internet during the cruise. the call feature did not work on the whatsapp when i tried to call home. the chat worked fine and i could record a message and send it like a voice mail and then in return get voice mail messages back, but no calling. so i upgraded to the premium package and that also did not work with the call feature. i used the whatsapp because i have an iphone and she had an android. if you both have iphones the imessage i heard works better than the whatsapp. also if you both are on facebook the call feature might work better on the facebook messenger. just be prepared in case the whatsapp call feature doesn't work for you on the ship you are on.

We are in the same situation. She has iPhone and I have a Note 5 (currently). I forgot you could call through Facebook. We are going on the Miracle. She is also going to be watching my babies (dog & cat). I won't need real Internet, just something that I can keep in contact with her.

We are in the same situation. She has iPhone and I have a Note 5 (currently). I forgot you could call through Facebook. We are going on the Miracle. She is also going to be watching my babies (dog & cat). I won't need real Internet, just something that I can keep in contact with her.

hopefully it will work on the miracle but if not try the facebook messenger call feature that might work better. i'm guessing the call feature might work on the newer ships that have a better network set up as compared to the older ships like the pride that were retro fitted with the new system. not sure if it will matter with how the internet works but in case you didn't know the miracle is a sister ship as the pride but 3 years newer. so they are the exact same ship except for the decor and slightly different 2.0 upgrades.

hopefully it will work on the miracle but if not try the facebook messenger call feature that might work better. i'm guessing the call feature might work on the newer ships that have a better network set up as compared to the older ships like the pride that were retro fitted with the new system. not sure if it will matter with how the internet works but in case you didn't know the miracle is a sister ship as the pride but 3 years newer. so they are the exact same ship except for the decor and slightly different 2.0 upgrades.

Good idea! I've never used the calling feature for Facebook.

Caity