Another Sapphire review for 10/08/05

rwl3

I felt that I owed you all a review, since I have learned so much from these boards! I realize it’s a few weeks after our trip, but I thought some of the information might be helpful to some.

The beginning of our trip was not pleasant (thankfully the remainder of our trip went smooth as silk). We flew into Los Angeles airport and arrived at 8:30 AM. We were told by the nice lady who was handling Princess, and two other cruise lines, that a bus would take us to the ship at 10:30. She had a nice print out that explained that and other information. We actually did not leave the airport until 12:30! If we had know from the beginning that we would have to wait that long, it would have been easier to deal with, and my husband and his parents wouldn’t have rushed back from the restaurant that they walked almost a mile to for breakfast (I sat with the luggage). People were getting really frustrated at the lack of information regarding the buses. The poor lady working for the cruise lines said that it was a communication problem. Many people took taxis, even though they had paid for transfers. I will say when we left the ship the buses were there and it went very well. The workers there sure got an earful from a couple of elderly ladies about how it went the week before. They said that many people in wheelchairs and with health problems were really having a hard time with the delay of buses at the airport. After that, everything was great, so you will hear no more complaining from me. But I wonder if it would have been better to fly into Long Beach rather than into such an busy airport.

At the beginning of the cruise, we really enjoyed the two at sea days. My husband was very tired from work, so it was nice to unwind. We really loved the ship and the way that the pools and hot tubs are spread around so many areas. If you find that one area is too busy, check out another.

When we got on board we immediately made reservations for the Sterling Steakhouse, Sabatini’s, and the Ultimate Balcony dinner since we had anytime dining, but after wandering around the first day, we ended up at Sterling’s for dinner that night. My husband and parents thought it was good, but not outstanding. My steak was overcooked; I should have sent it back. My fault.

We absolutely LOVED Sabitini’s; the food there was just amazing. The waiter told us that they had recently cut out the soup & salads, unless people want them, because people were just too full for their entrées. I can see that, there was so much food! I would never skip this restaurant where it was offered, it was fantastic.

As for our Ultimate Balcony Dinner, it was wonderful, but we should have done it any other night that on the way home from Mexico, because it was WINDY! If you schedule this, do it on any of the days going down. We had it with our in-laws on their balcony. The photographer took many shots; he went out of his way to deal with the wind outside. The appetizers, food, and desert were amazing. I would do this again on any cruise, but research better when to do it.

Our cruise was anytime dining. The only reservations we made ahead were for the specialty restaurants and the ultimate Balcony Dinner, other than that we just went about 8 PM to the restaurants, and had no problem getting in. We did not see all the shows, so we weren’t trying to work dinner around that (we did see The Piano Man though and enjoyed that). The first two nights of the cruise we sat out on our balcony and watched the sunset, then went to dinner. That’s the beauty of anytime dining. I don’t think we will ever do it traditional ever again. The photos we took of the sunset were beautiful.

Excursions: In Puerto Valletta we took the boat over to Las Caletas. We really enjoyed this excursion, the crew on the boat over we very entertaining with their singing and dancing. We have never had such an entertaining crew EVER on any excursion, and the main guy really could have done a show on the boat itself (can’t remember his name but we took photos of him…. he is black with dreadlocks if you see him, and just an amazing and fun talent!) We also enjoyed the island itself, it was beautiful with a jungle, and the water was clearer than we expected for Mexico. I didn’t plan on snorkeling, but my husband came back and reported that it was pretty good (although not like Hawaii). He told me to go to the dock where to the boat lands and it was much better there. They also had a delicious Mexican buffet meal.

In Matazalan we went on a city tour. We really enjoyed seeing the main sites since we had not been there before. Our tour guide was named Dora, so it was fun to take her photo by the bus. She told us to tell our granddaughter that Dora the Explorer (from Nickelodeon) grew up to be a tour guide! She was great. We ended up at a restaurant at the beach for a buffet, and then my husband and mother-in-law decided to Para-Sail ($25 each for 15 min.) after watching so many people do it on the beach while we ate. I cannot believe how warm the water is in Mexico. I couldn’t resist going in it with my regular clothes and while taking photos of them Para Sailing!

For our last excursion, we took a two-hour boat ride out of Cabo San Lucas, which covered all the main sites and resorts. It was great in that it gave us an overview of the whole area. The line was huge, though, to get back on the ship afterward, since it was tendered. We decided to sit under a tree and wait for the line to end before we got in it, which was a great idea, but then we got back late for the evening activities.

Overall we loved this ship. Almost all of the people who waited on us were very friendly, and our room steward, Marilyn, was especially great. We would book this ship again in a minute.

If you have any questions I will try to answer them right away.

Archived