Need help choosing excursions

lucy2mb

I will caution you, NOT to get caught up with any "best", or "must dos". There are hundreds of tours that get those descriptions. I'd also suggest you might want to take the time and look for first hand reports, on tours of interest to you.

Reading through shore excursion lists, gives you good opportunities to greatly narrow down your interests. With all adults in your group, and your stated, limited funds- I would never suggest- "group" touring. Split up and let people go with THEIR interests. I can just about guarantee varied touring preferences.

After- you give a good look and narrow down YOUR list to a few tours, then look for more details on vendors and booking preferences experienced by posters. A lot of good information is available, but, can take some weeding though.

After researching, I decided to book Yukon Rail and Bus through Chilkoot tours in Skagway. We always have at least one excursion where we are all together. It will be my husband, our 3 children and nephew. We enjoy being all together- 2 live in different states. They all agreed on the train excursion. I will continue reading about the other ports. I have always done the research on our Caribbean cruises and they have been happy with my suggestions. We sometimes split up. I will begin looking at the other 3 ports tonight. Thankfully, we have all the pre cruise arrangements made. Shuttle service was from a suggestion you gave someone once.

Thank you again for everyone's advice.

We did have a snow storm in May in 1985, but this was such an anomaly that everyone took pictures and some of the old timers still talk about it.......especially when they see me putting in my garden, ALWAYS before the first of May:)

I always tell them that if we get a late freeze, I can just replant.

This has not occurred in those ensuing thirty years, but there are some who I know around town who are just waiting for the occurance so that they can be the first of the "see...I told you so's :rolleyes:

Soooo, wear your deck shoes and come see if my garden is doing well, In May, over on 3rd street when you are here!

Happy travels

DD

I looked at your company for the trip to Yukon because I had read great reviews about your company but because our cruise starts May 8th, the train doesn't run back in the afternoon that early in May and we wanted train and bus.

We had snow on May 3rd one year when we were in college in Boone, NC. I wouldn't mind it snowing while we are in Alaska but I guess that would cause problems with our excursions. I am hoping for highs in upper 60's while we are in Alaska. Have they ever had to cancel the train in May because of snow?

I live considerably south of Alaska, in Wyoming, and we ALWAYS have a major snowstorm in May. One year I missed a Mother's Day luncheon because we were snowed in. Our last frost date is May 31, and NO ONE plants outside before then.

Just goes to show what an ocean can do to the climate!