Way to transport chilled meds

Muumuu

Had to carry insulin down to Florida. Did not want to take cooler. Drove down.

Found a product called FRIO, insulin travel wallet. Also holds eye drops.

Various sizes, reuseable, small, TSA approved.

Check it out on amazon or the FRIO web site

Worked great for me.

Hope this helps those who may need something like this.

Just read and follow directions. They are simple.

Hmm. May be worth it.

I have a few questions before committing.

1) How many containers of insulin does it take? I take two different kinds, and I'll probably need two containers of each. So that's four right there.

2) It doesn't need any refrigeration whatsoever? How long will it keep cool before using cold water again?

3) With a doctor's prescription, I can get my insulin through airport security, right?

This may actually be worth it for our Thanksgiving road trip in two weeks. Although we usually take a small cooler anyway. For the insulin, pop and water.

For me, the portable cooler works best. In my case, it is the vials for my nebulizer. I will either use freezer ice packs or some frozen food I prepared for the trip. Never had any problems going through security at the airport. Checkers have teased me about sharing my lunch or dinner. I attach it in the back, under the seat on my scooter and it stays with the scooter. One less thing to handle. It also works great on road trips because we can get ice at almost every hotel.

I carry a complete list of my prescriptions when traveling and have never had to show it at the airport. I just tell TSA that I have an ice pack (or frozen food) with my meds.

Betty

Hmm. May be worth it.

1) How many containers of insulin does it take? I take two different kinds, and I'll probably need two containers of each. So that's four right there.

2) It doesn't need any refrigeration whatsoever? How long will it keep cool before using cold water again?

3) With a doctor's prescription, I can get my insulin through airport security, right?

This may actually be worth it for our Thanksgiving road trip in two weeks. Although we usually take a small cooler anyway. For the insulin, pop and water.

Hi,

I have used a Frio for many years without any problem (same one never changed it) the one I have takes 4 pens but I am sure there are different sizes.

No refrigeration is needed as it lasts for a couple of days, three sometimes but that isn't a problem as I just put the liner back into cold water and it cools down again.

Having travelled to many places around the world I have never been asked about my insulin, they are so used to it they don't blink an eye.

Pete

Hi,

I have used a Frio for many years without any problem (same one never changed it) the one I have takes 4 pens but I am sure there are different sizes.

No refrigeration is needed as it lasts for a couple of days, three sometimes but that isn't a problem as I just put the liner back into cold water and it cools down again.

Having travelled to many places around the world I have never been asked about my insulin, they are so used to it they don't blink an eye.

Pete

Thanks for the positive responses, Pete. I will take four pens. One pen lasts me a little over a week, and I will be fine about 9-10 days.

How long does the liner have to be under cold water to cool it down again?

And what all do you need to buy separate?

Hmm. May be worth it.

1 & 2 Just GOOGLE "Frio" as all info you need to know is on its website.

3 For airport security Insulin should remain in the original packing as it was received by by the pharmacy with the RX label attached.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thanks for the positive responses, Pete. I will take four pens. One pen lasts me a little over a week, and I will be fine about 9-10 days.

Just GOOGLE "Frio" all information is stated on its website.

Hi LadyBeBop,

The liner only needs a couple of minutes to activate the "gel" to start it cooling, make sure you don't leave it too long as they swell up and you struggle to get more than two pens in it.

The only thing I buy separate is some tissues to wipe off the excess water from the outside of the liner :)

Pete